How can I stop my 6 month lab puppy fighting with my 3yr old lab?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by RachellRussell, Oct 7, 2022.

1. RachellRussell

RachellRussell Registered Users

We have been keeping our new male lab puppy (now 6 months old) separated from our 3 year old male lab while in our house as their "play" turns into very vigorous fighting within minutes! How long should we expect this to continue...? Will they ever calm down with each other naturally?? I see a lot of other people posting photos of their 2 dogs snuggled up together - I just wish ours were like that!!! Is there anything I can do to make this happen??

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

You have 2 very young dogs there and boisterous play could continue for quite some time. The key will be wearing them out with training and exercise, and teaching them to settle. They may never suggle up, I think its a myth that all dogs want to do that. However, you should get to a place where they are both calm on a bed near each other chilling out.

3. RachellRussell

RachellRussell Registered Users

Thank you... any tips on how to teach them to "settle"? Are we doing the right thing continuing to keep them apart while in the house or is this exacerbating the problem? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

4. Kaitlynn Collins

Kaitlynn Collins Registered Users

Honestly the worst thing you can do is keep them apart from each other that will create even more issues. My advice is train them both together and also possible get both of them neutered as this will potential stop them from trying to be dominant with one other. They are trying to establish that one of them is the boss