How do I get puppy to sleep later than 6am?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jeanine, Dec 18, 2016.

1. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Maybe I sound like a whiner but these 5:30-6am wake up calls are taking its toll. Corona has had quite a few medical issues so maybe I should just be satisfied that she sleeps from 10pm until 5:30-6am. She falls asleep in the evening around 8pm, goes out for a potty break before bed. When she wakes in the morning, she has a pee and poop like clockwork then I put her back in her gated area. She used to put her paws up on the bed, then she resorted to just whimpering. The last couple of mornings, the whimpering is minimal. She usually will last another 45minutes to an hour but I can't go back to sleep because I know it won't last. Plus she whimpers on and off and is sitting on her pillow just waiting for me to move. I am trying to teach her that she doesn't get up until my alarm at 6:45. Am I doing this right? Any tricks?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mollie is 11 weeks old and was an early waker, my supervisor suggested feeding her later and it worked - she sleeps 'till 7am now.

She's now fed at 8am, 12noon, 4pm and 8pm. She plays after her evening meal then zonks at 9pm, we wake her up for a wee at 10pm the tuck her up for the night.

Hope this helps xx

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Before Harley slept on the bed we had this problem. After a wee/poo I would put her on the bed and she went back to sleep until at least 9am! Just a thought!

4. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

We tried this in the past and after her morning routine of licks and scratches, 10 minutes or so, she would go back to sleep for about an hour. The problem was, she started getting up a couple of times during the middle of the night, expecting to get up on the bed at THAT time. My husband says she can't tell the difference between the middle of the night and morning since they are both still pitch dark. I am a super light sleeper, I can't sleep all night with a dog on the bed. We've always allowed on the bed in the morning in the past, with our last 2 dogs and they fell into the routine at quite a young age. But with Corona, if we do it once, she takes advantage of it right away. It took us 2 solid weeks to get us to the point we are at now. At least she's sleeping thru the night again on her pillow. Until 5:30-6am that is. I am tempted to try again but I think I should probably make sure it's ingrained in her head that she sleeps on her pillow until morning. I would hate to have to start over again!