How do you carry a heavy pup?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Oct 17, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It's not quite necessary yet, but by the time Willow is 13 weeks, she'll definitely be too heavy for me to carry any distance. I've tried her in a tote bag, but that didn't help because the weight was just confined to one small strap on my shoulder, making it even worse than holding her in my arms.

So, what did/do you use for carrying a chunk of a puppy?

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Re: How do you carry a heavy pup?

Hi Fiona. As Maisie started to become too heavy to carry around, I spent many hours sitting on benches outside supermarkets and in town. Lots of new people to meet, lots of sounds to take in! I drove to lots of places such as the train station, car parks, etc.

3. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

By the time she is 13 weeks she should be walking anyway so no reason to carry her.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I used a baby sling until Gypsy was allowed 'paws down' outside :)

5. snowbunny

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=8327.msg117630#msg117630 date=1413571412]
    By the time she is 13 weeks she should be walking anyway so no reason to carry her.
    [/quote]

She won't be having her second jab until 13 weeks (and a day) :(

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8327.msg117643#msg117643 date=1413572078]
    [quote author=Leanangle link=topic=8327.msg117630#msg117630 date=1413571412]
    [/quote]

She won't be having her second jab until 13 weeks (and a day) :(
    [/quote]

Oh, & at least another week after that untill she can be walked. Bouncer is 8.5kg at 13 weeks & is a big lump to carry but I can manage it, my Wife & kids cant, although that doesnt stop my 7 year old trying to.
    So i cant really offer advice.

Maybe a wheelbarrow?

;D

7. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

I used a shopping trolley for Elsie, popped her in on top of a small box so her head poked out the top and pushed it in front of me instead of dragging it behind. She loved it and so did everyone we met.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

For our first pup we used a backpack with an opening at the top (rather than one that zipped down the sides). We put towels in the bottom to boost him up high enough and then he just sat in it looking out the too. That was quite comfortable for everyone :) We actually didn't have a car at the time so we walked an awful lot using the backpack.

9. snowbunny

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=8327.msg117706#msg117706 date=1413580605]
    For our first pup we used a backpack with an opening at the top (rather than one that zipped down the sides). We put towels in the bottom to boost him up high enough and then he just sat in it looking out the too. That was quite comfortable for everyone :) We actually didn't have a car at the time so we walked an awful lot using the backpack.
    [/quote]

And did you carry that on your back or your front? I think on my back I'd be too worried I couldn't calm her if needs be? I'm probably completely overthinking the whole thing, but that's who I am!

We drive when we have to go shopping, because the nearest supermarket is a half hour drive away, but that happens once a week and the rest of the time we walk everywhere. Not that "everywhere" is very interesting at the moment, because we're between summer and winter seasons, so the place is a ghost town!

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

When there were two humans walking one carried the backpack on their back and the other person walked behind. But if there was just one person we out the backpack on the front. He was really very chilled in the backpack, though he was a very laid back pup.

Just make sure the backpack can't come 'open' while walking - that's why one with a drawstring top is best. Sturdy straps and a thick waist belt thingy also help a lot.