How do you know what whining means?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by HAH, Jun 4, 2018.

1. HAH

HAH Registered Users

Right, so this is a tricky one to admit: I often don't know what Kipper means when he's whining. I feel I should know by now (he's just over 8 months old, and we've had him since he was 7 weeks), and I can rule out basics like needing the toilet, but the rest of the time I'm a bit clueless.

He's not a constant whiner, and I *think* most of the time it's when he's bored or wants attention e.g. of an evening, right before he gets overtired, starts humping his bed and then flops asleep :) - but there's always the slight doubt in the back of my mind that says "what if there's something wrong? What if he's in pain, or uncomfortable, and you're letting it go on for weeks?" I'm fairly confident I would pick up on 'something [obviously] wrong' in that I observe pretty closely and there are no other indicators of distress like lip licking or stretching - but still...

How do others read whining in their dogs, especially youngsters? If it is that he's bored (and we're training him to settle at the moment, which he's making real progress with) do we just wait it out? Is it an age/hormone/stage of maturity thing? Or are there things I can do to minimise whining? Any advice or experiences welcome!

2. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

After 61 years I still can't speak Labrador but our various Labs have always been able to understand peoplespeak!

Whining is sometimes accompanied by other clues. Sometimes asking 'show me', holding out a hand or just standing up and moving towards Holly elicits a response. If she gently mouths my hand, or moves towards the door it means she wants to go the garden. If she just stares it means she thinks its mealtime. If she goes towards a toy its playtime. 'Bored' and 'overtired' are a little harder to understand.

HAH and MF like this.
  3. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I have a whiner, though now that I'm thinking about it, I have noticed a significant change in the past 9 months or so (she's 2.5yrs). She rarely barks, so the whining never bothered me and it is how she communicates with us. She rarely whines for a reason we can't figure out (now). In retrospect, we probably reinforced the whining by talking to her, which was likely rewarding.

Quinn used to cry most evenings and it was definitely boredom/she was tired, but it wasn't bedtime. It started around 4 months old and gradually lessened then stopped around 16ish months. She would wander around whining and looking at us, or just stand there whining. I would do a short bedtime walk, or play tug, do some training, play hide and seek and/or give her a chew or a kong. She would also whine like crazy when she was a puppy when I was getting ready for work in the mornings and I think that was in anticipation of going on her morning walk. I ignored that whining. She grew out of that completely by 10 months (now she sleeps in so late I'm ready for work before she even makes an appearance!).

The other whining is usually: she needs to go out, and it's urgent; someone is outside/in another room and she would like to go with them and needs the door opened; she would like to get on the bed but needs the OK (so she will cry to wake me up to simply say "OK" and she jumps up); her ball is stuck somewhere; my OH left and didn't take her with him.

You will start to know what the whining means and if you don't, your pup might try to tell you in other ways. When Quinn cries for her ball, and ducks her head to show me where it went (under couch, under kitchen cabinet, etc). When she wants outside to follow OH, she whines at me in whatever room I'm in, walks to a door, and walks back to me and cries. If it's an urgent bathroom situation, she stands at the back door and cries.

HAH likes this.
  4. HAH

HAH Registered Users

Thanks, this is spot on - now I think about it, there is always some body language that gives a fair indication. Like you say, if his ball is under the sofa or he's smelt an errant kibble behind the piano, it's difficult to miss once he's got our attention! Same with the back door - that always used to be a reliable toilet break, but now he's discovered a passion for tennis balls it's just as often "my ball's out there, I need it NOW!"

5. HAH

HAH Registered Users

This is very reassuring, thank you - I'm now pretty comfortable with most other sorts of whining (excitement, anticipation, needing a wee) so just need to hone my dog speak for 'bored'!

Hollysdad likes this.
  6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, talking to her is rewarding, as is any interaction, including eye contact. It’s pretty hard to ignore vocalisations as we are apes and react naturally to vocalisation in our dogs.

Tatze tend to do one ‘woof’ if she wants something, totally different from her alert barking which is woofwoofwoofwoof!

She’s funny because she loves her chair (it’s her safe place from the pups) but it’s a swivel chair and she wants me to hold it still while she gets on. So, if I don’t notice her standing by the chair she does an indignant ‘woof!’ :)

Mom of Fozzie, Coa, selina27 and 3 others like this.
  7. HAH

HAH Registered Users

:heart:

8. HAH

HAH Registered Users

SUCH a good point! I've mulled long and hard about why I find it such a challenge not to react to noises I don't want to reinforce, and this is exactly it.

9. Shamas' mom

Shamas' mom Registered Users

For Shamas, Whining is usually in frustration. Like when he wants to chase the cats but knows he's not allowed. Or if we're eating, and he's not allowed to beg. It's his vocalisation of his attempt to maintain control over his impulses.

HAH likes this.
  10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco tend to whine when we're settled & he wants to do something, like play with a ball or play tug. He won't actually bring the toy he wants to play with, it's up to us to either guess or dissuade him. Another time he whines is if we've had a barbecue & come back inside for the evening. He will whine to go out and to sweep the eating area.
    It's never annoying so not a problem for us if we respond.