How long in a crate?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JenBainbridge, Sep 18, 2016.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Other Threads You May Find Helpful The Forum Recommends Crate training (including times and schedules)

Hi guys!

How long do you think it's ok to leave a puppy in his cage for?

We're trying to build up Stanley's time of being left alone, he's doing really well. We're at about 2/2.5 hours now. But we're reluctant to leave him any longer with him being in his crate. Seems a bit harsh to leave him cooped up any longer.

Our kitchen isn't really puppy proof and I'd be scared he'd hurt himself or something.

Any advice appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2016
    pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I wouldn't leave him any longer than that in a crate - or, to be honest, at all at his age. Even for that kind of time, I'd be tempted to use a pen to give him a bit more space to safely mooch around in.

3. Helen

Helen Registered Users

Our kitchen wasn't really puppy proof, but we put up stuff that could be a danger to him, and even put baby locks on some of the cupboards (possibly a bit extreme) so that he could wander around and have a play if he wanted rather than be locked in a crate.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I read one hour plus one hour per months of age. By the time my dog was 12 months old that would have him crated for over half the day. I arbitrarily decided no more than 3 hours a day, total, not per time. Then we didn't really use the crate in the traditionnal way as we left the door of it open and put it in our gated kitchen, or for one in a sturdy home made pen. My VEt is of the opinion that too long crate times might be the reason he sees more UTI, neuroses and joint ailments. Would be a good research project for a Vet student.

5. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer was in his crate for up to 2 hours in the morning then less than 2 hours in the evening and again for the night 10:30pm through to 6 am. Then when he was just over one years old he started to refuse to go in so he had the run of the kitchen. Since he was 3 years old he's has the whole house but often bedroom doors are shut so he has kitchen, hall and stairs.

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Dexter came to us at 5 months ,I'd say up until 8/9 months I'd crate him for up to 2 hours if we went out but I wouldn't leave him longer.I had visitors staying when he was about 6 months and we were somewhere that I knew I'd be pushed to get back within 2 hours so I left him out but behind the gate in 'his room' our utility room that was cleared for him.....he chewed the door frame and the skirting and I was back by 3 hours !
    I've written on another post today about his gradual and SAFE release into the run of the house.

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Whilst I worked Harley would be in her crate for no more than 4 hours a day (2x2 hour stints). She slept with us at night and had free run of the house when we were at home. At 6 months old she had the kitchen, then by 10 months old had the run of the house (except bathrooms). We were lucky that she wasn't a chewer and still isn't at 3 years.

8. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

It's difficult to be definitive about this. There are some recommended crate times at different ages in the chart which you'll find in the article above.

9. JenBainbridge

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your responses. We're trying to build him up to 4 hours but it makes me feel better that he shouldn't be there yet.

Think it's time to start puppy proofing the kitchen. He isn't much of a chewer but I don't want him to get things and hurt himself because he loves stealing things off the counter. Never fails to amaze me what he can get to that I thought no way.

He's usually only left for a couple of hours anyway, it's just for in future if we ever need to go somewhere or whatever.

Didn't realise how much we would need babysitters! o_O

10. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

The longest I've crated Xena is 3 hours in one go, but I don't intend to do that regularly. Usually it's one hour in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon, but some days not at all. When she stops chewing (furniture and skirting/door frames) then I'll de-crate her! I've found a day care for the school holidays so that I can spend whole days out and about with my kid. My kid's never been in day care yet I'm going to do it for the dog!

Karen likes this.
  11. JenBainbridge

Stanley goes to day care usually once or twice a week when we're both at work. He loves it - gets to play all day. Think he'd rather be there to be honest. It's just the days when you're just going to be gone a while, today it was my best friends baby shower but OH was at work.

I crated him for an hour then my mum came and sat with him for 2 then he was crated for another hour. So not too bad :)