How long should we avoid steps for?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Hi there another quick question if I may...

We have 2 sets of steps (5 big steps in total) leading down to the puppy pooping area of our garden. I'm guessing we will be carrying Bob down to 'go' to start with. At what point can we start encouraging him to go down there by himself? I know you should avoid steps etc to start with - but for how long?

Thank you,
    Louise

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: How long should we avoid steps for?

Gypsy is 18 weeks now and fine on steps, I lift her in and out of the car (and will do until she gets too heavy, she puts her front paws up on the tailgate for me) and we don't do stairs - but garden steps, yes.

I don't think there is a rule, but I let them when they can manage the steps easily. :)

3. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

I'd imagine eventually puppy will be to large to carry anyway so as long as you can is what I'd do. I'm only going to let mine do unavoidable steps so no upstairs in house at all but that's also so our ragdoll cat Pooshka has a sanctuary to escape to. Think its lovely how everyone on forum is so concerned to safeguard our babies they are such lucky puppy's. :)

4. Loopyloo30

Thank you.. yes we will be keeping Bob downstairs to start with he can have the run of the kitchen/dining room/cellar etc... but we will stair-gate to stop him coming up the stairs. OK I'll carry him down the garden for as long as I can physically manage it! I want to train him to go there.. so will reward him every time he goes.. :)

Lou x

5. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

As soon as they can manage them ours have to do them, first floor flat so they are only getting in if they walk up and out if they walk down. Elsie managed at 14 weeks, treat on each step got her started.

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I carried for as long as I could physically manage it for steps and in and out of car. The step at the back door I let Riley deal with it on his own when it was a step rather than a jump. I was pregnant so I probably let him sort himself out earlier than I would have ideally :)

7. cubby

cubby Registered Users

Is it really wise to carry dogs up and down steps? Will it get to the point that the dog is afraid to do them by himself?

I plan on having our dog sleep in our bedroom, which is on the 2nd floor. Sure, I can carry him up the stairs in the beginning, but when the dog gets to be 80+ pounds I am not going to be carrying him! And I dont want him downstairs alone all night either.

My last lab always did steps but he got timid about them. And as a 12 year old he would often refuse to go up and we would let him sleep downstairs, or on a rare occasion my husband would pick him up and carry him. But he was 90 pounds!

I understand trying to go easy on their joints, but I dont want the dog refusing to do a few steps either. For the most part the dog will go down the steps in the morning and then go up at night. But there are also 2 steps at the front door, and 4 out to the back yard. I feel like I cant shelter him from steps his whole life.

8. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

According to the recent research in Norway, I think it was, allowing a pup to use stairs heightens the risk of hip problems. So, if I can help in anyway, I will. Our pup loves the stairs as he has manages to bulldoze the baby gate twice in the six months of having him ;D so I don't see him being scared later when I let him go up and down which I will wait until he is 18 months or so.

9. bbrown

I don't think anyone's suggesting our dogs never go near steps their whole lives. Whilst they are growing though and susceptible to the environmental factors that can have a negative effect on HD I shall be very careful around stairs for my dogs. My in-laws dog has ED and I know they feel guilty that they in some way contributed to it. For the record I don't think they did but I shall be careful nonetheless.

10. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

Yes bbrown, I think what I meant was I will do what I can and if he still has hip or elbow problems later, I'll feel it wasn't anything I did to contribute to it and I did the best I could and couldn't do anymore.

11. bbrown

[quote author=MontysMum link=topic=7988.msg112683#msg112683 date=1411667331]
    Yes bbrown, I think what I meant was I will do what I can and if he still has hip or elbow problems later, I'll feel it wasn't anything I did to contribute to it and I did the best I could and couldn't do anymore.
    [/quote]

Exactly! None of this is an exact science, there seem to be many factors but we all try and give our dogs the best chance we can :)

12. Loopyloo30

Thanks guys :) x