How much protein variety in dog's diet?

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Frznrth, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Frznrth

Frznrth Registered Users

Hi
    I have an 18 month lab/German Shepard and a 9 month large breed very mixed - bit of lab. I started them on raw about 6 weeks ago as the “little” one was having digestive issues on kibble. Both are doing very well on Raw. As I’m knew to it though I have some questions. The biggest is how much protein variety is best?

I’m buying from a local small company that offers a few different “formulas”.
    Chicken, Turkey, Chicken mixed with beef (mostly chicken) and Salmon mixed with boar (mostly salmon).

I’ve been feeding Salmon/boar twice a week as I read they need the omega oils and then mostly the chicken/beef with some chicken thrown in the other days.

Is this enough variety? Is this enough red meat? The “formulas” all have bone, organs and tripe. I also add a cube of fruit/veg that I blend up and freeze to each meal - plus an egg each for breakfast.

Thanks for the help.

2. Frznrth

Frznrth Registered Users

Hi
    I'm also wondering if Turkey would be a better choice than Chicken? If its not "better" would it count as a different protein - if I need more variety?

3. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

The more variety the better as different ingredients have differing nutrition. Our basic proteins are beef, chicken, turkey, beef tripe, lamb, oily fish, rabbit, pheasant, pork and various offal from those.

4. Frznrth

Frznrth Registered Users

Wow. That’s a lot of variety. I’ll do what I can but I don’t think I could ever realistically match that.

5. J.D

J.D Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think the recommended minimum is 3 types of protein. There is quite a good Facebook group called Raw feeding Uk that has a lot of info about ratios etc.

6. Frznrth

Frznrth Registered Users

Thanks. 3 is easy enough for me to do. I’ll have a look at the Facebook group.