How much to feed a 7 month old?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Newpuppymom, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Newpuppymom

Newpuppymom Registered Users

My 7 month old is currently eating about 350grams of skinners dry a day, about half a tin of butchers and maby a bit of paddywhack or a frozen bone aswell or an egg.

He is being fed 3 times a day.

I have noticed though that he is beginning to leave food behind esp his evening meal. Plus his attention span is none existant as I would usually train with food.

His weight looks ok but his walks are beginning to suffer now as I just cant keep his attention!

Am I over feeding him? Should I change how I feed him?

2. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Re: How much to feed a 7 month old?

Not sure about those amounts, as our puppy Charlie is quite a bit younger, at only 4 months she has 320g per day of Burgess spread over 4 meals (80g per meal). And that's all she gets.

Could you perhaps make the walk treats more 'valuable' ones to get his attention, hot dogs, fresh chicken or something like that?

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am not sure about those amounts, I only feed my fully grown adult dogs 300g - 350g per day split into 2 meals as per instructions on the bag. Helen x

4. Newpuppymom

I tried the hotdogs but he would not eat them. I have not tried chicken but if he isn't hungry wouldn't he turn his nose up at that too?

He is currently fed skinners duck and rice

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We're on duck and rice which suits Riley well. I don't know what he gets in weight I'm afraid. Over time I've adjusted his meal size to fit with what he'll eat and how he looks weight wise. An added sardine always ensures a clean bowl so if I'm concerned he's too thin he gets a bit extra plus a sardine until he's looking good again.

He's never been keen on kibble as treats but he's always up for a bit of chicken or cheese though! Low value favourite is toast.

You could try hand feeding him during his walks or always try and do your training before meals so he's at least a little bit hungry?

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Barbara has made a good point, take him out hungry and hand feed him for training, I do this with Charlie now as per Heidrun's advise and I get 100% attention in all aspects and his training has moved on very quickly. Helen x

7. Newpuppymom

Took him for a 40 min walk into town today. It is beyond hot 0.0

I didn't take any treats out today but instead did a lot of speed changes, walking in circles and stopping and starting and it was a very pleasing walk! I was very happy with him!

I did try to do some training and he manages to sit, lay down, stand up, sit up and bark on command plus some heel work. All other tricks were out the window as the poor fella looked like he would faint on the spot from the heat.

Im thinking I may have neglected to do the things I used to do as I got better. Hence why he got worse.

As for training I think maby feed him his tea on a walk as training etc

Thanks for all the sound advice guys!