How much to feed

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dukester, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dukester

Dukester Registered Users

Hi guys,

Had Duke for a week now, and things are coming along. Hes coming 9 weeks old, and was 11 pounds when we got him.

one thing i'm not hundred percent on, is am i feeding him a decent amount? The breeder was only feeding them twice a day they said, but i found that odd. He now eats 4 meals a day, at 1/2 a cup a meal, so 2 cups a day, is that way to much? He poop is sometimes hard and sometimes loose, but no concerning diarhea.

Any thoughts, how much did you feed your pup? Hes still on the same food that his breeder was feeding him ( which is poor food) so I will be switching him, was just giving him some time to adjust to everything else before a diet change!

2. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: How much to feed

Four meals sounds like a much better idea than two!

It's hard to get an idea if you're feeding the right quantity, as different foods have different calorific values, which can make quite a difference to the amount they get. Have you got a feeding guide with the food that came from the breeder? They are only ever a guide at best - some puppies need more than the stated amount, some need considerably less! Pippa's article on feeding puppies is here: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/?p=3984

There is a further link within that article to looking at your Lab's shape / weight.

When you have picked your new food, just swap over gradually, and good luck - I'm sure Dukester will love it!
    Clare

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Four small meals is definitely better than two. Sounds like your breeder was cutting corners - two large meals of poor quality puppy food - bet you can't wait to swap him over! But do it slowly, otherwise you may end up with a pup with an upset tummy. Regarding quantity of food - as Clare says, normally the packet will give you an indication. I think two cups sounds about right… but you will very soon notice if he is getting fat or starting to look a bit thin. Looking forward to seeing some photos! :)

4. Dukester

Dukester Registered Users

Thats what I was thinking, second meal of the day are around the same time, not always the same due to work and school between my boyfriend and I. But third and fourth meal is the same time, so I think thats okay.

He looked like a wood tick when we picked him up, fat little belly, he has been wormed and vet checked, I have the certificate, so I'm not concerned about that, he thinned out within 24 hours and from what I see hes in pretty good body condition. So ill keep doing what im doing!