How often should I bath my pup?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Trishad3397, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Trishad3397

Trishad3397 Registered Users

Hi there, Scout is 10 weeks now and she is so smelly, I know labs are smelly but I was just wondering how often can I bath her? She will be able to go out from Friday and the beach is our first port of call, she is defo going to need a bath when she gets back.
    She has had 3 baths since I have got her, is that too many?

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: How often should I bath my pup?

I have two Labs, one nearly eight years old and one nearly two and they have never had a bath! I good downpour of rain or a swim in the pond and they are as good as new.

I do think your pup has had too many baths, you will take the natural oil out of the coat. But that is just my opinion. I would only bath my dogs if they rolled in dead sheep (one GSP did) or human poo, which another GSP did!!

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Riley is two and a half and he's probably been washed twice. Mostly I just put up with the smell unless there is something truly awful going on :)

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam is also almost two and a half years old and has had one bath , I am the oddity who loves the labby smell :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think it's a bit odd if your puppy smells bad - most puppies smell amazing, very different from adult Labs. Are you sure there is nothing wrong? Might be worth considering...

Charlie had his first bath when he rolled in fox poo at about six months. On return from the beach, or very muddy walk, he just gets rinsed in the garden to get rid of the salt/mud.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Obi has has three baths in the last year (actual baths with shampoo). One was because he got ringworm ::) and the other two were because he gets itchy with a pollen allergy in Spring. He wouldn't get shampooed without a reason such as a health need or because he had rolled in something appalling.

I agree that you are bathing your puppy too much. When you say that he smells, can you describe the smell? Very difficult thing to ask, sorry :)

7. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

we hose jasper down if he is muddy in the garden,....we have a wash mit if he as rolled in fox poo we put a tiny bit of doggy shampoo on the glove, and just wash the area and hose it off, we also have a doggy deodorant from pets at home, we spray a tiny tiny amount on to his towel and give him a rub,..... we have had the same bottle from him being 9 week old and only a tiny amount as gone out of the bottle

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Your puppy really doesn't need a bath at all, unless she's got in something really gross. If she smells bad, I would consult the vet.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Well, we are at odds to all the rest of you I think.
    Lilly is huge fan of poo rolling, and goes swimming on a regular basis, so get frequent bath/showers mostly with shampoo.
    Probably averages out at two maybe three a month :eek:
    She has been known to have three in a week (haven't seen Mr Foxy for a while though, thankfully ::) )

No doubt though, if she can avoid the smelly rolls, her fur gets super-soft after rain soakings and dunks in the (clean) pond.
    Personally, if the smell is not good, at the very least a clean water shower down. I think that the doggy soaps rather than the shampoos are better on Lilly as her skin can get a bit irritated after certain shampoos. Thats my twopence worth ;D

10. Trishad3397

Thanks for all the replies, she was at vets on Friday getting her second vaccination and her puppy check and all is fine. Her smell isn't awful just doggy, my mother in law came in the living room and said "oh my god it stinks of dog in here" so that was my que to go bath her.
    Is it not too cold to just hose her down? I'd hate for her to get a chill- baring in mind I live in the North-east of England in a small coastal town and it gets freezing, we had 80 mph winds yesterday.

Thanks again, Trisha

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh goodness, don't hose a little puppy down! If she is wet or dirty, I would just rub her off with a towel. That's all I ever do with Poppy really, unless she is completely disgusting!

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have a wooden pallet on the patio - you can get them free from garden centers. I clicker trained a fun little routine with Charlie. He lies down on the pallet - I go get a gardening trug full of warm water and a big, soft, sponge. He gets a bit of chicken if he is still on his pallet when I get back (the tap is very close to the patio). Then he stands, tummy wash with warm water and sponge - tiny bit of chicken. Back legs, etc. etc. Then he steps off the pallet, I put his towel down on it. And he gets back on and rolls on the towel (I didn't train that bit, he invented it himself).

It was great fun doing it, and since nothing had to be at all precise, a good little exercise in clicker training for us.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Julie, you are the mother of invention, very impressed!!

Is Scout the little puppy who had to be picked up early?? How is she settling in, has all gone well? Would love to see some more photos of her… :)

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=3552.msg39664#msg39664 date=1386320292]
    [/quote]

It's living with a hooligan that does it. Until I got organised, I'd end up wetter than Charlie after rinse off time!

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We use a wet cloth when it's chilly for anything stubborn rather than a full hose off and then a brisk towel rub and tucked up in the warm house :)

16. Oberon

We lift Obi into the bath and use the hand-held shower head on him, with warm water. Then he gets towelled off with a couple of towels.

Your mother in law ought to come round to my house. I bet it's ten times doggier than yours ;D

17. Trishad3397

[quote author=Karen link=topic=3552.msg39664#msg39664 date=1386320292]
    Is Scout the little puppy who had to be picked up early?? How is she settling in, has all gone well? Would love to see some more photos of her… :)
    [/quote]

Hi yes it is Scout :D
    We have just got back from her very first walk and she thoroughly enjoyed herself.
    She is beautiful and growing up so fast.
    I will attempt to put photos up in the photo bit.. x

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So, after saying I hardly ever bath her, Poppy had to be shampooed yesterday! After the training session she was charging around the fields playing with her friends. I noticed her rolling around on her back and thought 'Awww, how sweet, look at her playing with Amy over there… Hang on a minute, that's not like her, why is she rolling around on her back??? WHY IS SHE ROLLING AROUND ON HER BACK????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!'

Yes, you guessed it, the dreaded fox poo. One very stinky and dirty dog in the back of the car, home to a bucket of warm soapy water! Yuk!!!

19. Trishad3397

Why do they roll in poo... Is so un lady like ???

20. Oberon

Oh, appalling... The ride home must've been something of an olfactory ordeal.