How to control your puppy biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Gemma&Oreo, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Gemma&Oreo

Gemma&Oreo Registered Users

Hi,

I have a 9 week old black lab who is very cheeky and playful and I understand they love to explore and get excited however he has lots of toys and we tend to entertain him most of the day so he sleeps at night. He has a lovely garden to play in and rarely has time to get bored however when playing with him or when guests come he gets so giddy but bites and now he is growing up it hurts and draws blood. Any suggestions on how to control this as I have tried yelping out so he knows he’s hurting or saying no but tends to carry on. Thanks

2. Daniel Boldero

Daniel Boldero Registered Users

Hi,

Not sure if this helps you out or you have seen it already :-

One good idea I pulled from that short vid was using an icecube to chill his mouth/gums out or use a frozen kong to help. :)

3. Gemma&Oreo

Ah thank you. Will try this I have tried giving him a toy instead but think he’s getting a little over excited and teething as he is only still young

Daniel Boldero likes this.
  4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Gemma&Oreo

Carry a tug toy with you. Redirect her mouth onto the tug. Imitate a snake. Make it come alive. Play with her. Gently pull on it. Let him win. The tug is prey and he has caught it.

Don't leave the tug with him. It's only used when interacting with your puppy.

5. Gemma&Oreo

He actually has a dog toy which is a crocodile which he loves to chase and bite however when gets fed up and tends to bite our feet and hands instead, but like I say now he is growing he’s got very sharp baby teeth. Thank you for your advice.

6. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

Willow would bite fingers we put a toy or chew in her mouth but she would work her way to the hand holding the chew.
    She does mouth gentle now.
    Though she did bite me hard when I was giving a treat we doing long leash training in the house and she got over excited when taking the treat.
    So we stopped the training and worked on taking the treat nicely first in a closed hand until she was calm then she hot the treat.

7. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Then the game stops. Put him in playpen or crate or spare room [nothing to play with] for 2 to 3 minutes. Don't say anything. No yelling. If you have on a house line when supervised, then essy to get the puppy to time out zone. When puppy finishes time out you should be friendly. All is forgiven.

8. Karin Ackerfeldt

Karin Ackerfeldt Registered Users

My pup was the same. I have two kids a one year old and three year old both kids were scratched. I ended up finding a pup the same age and meeting everyday for a puppy play date. It was life changing he is so much better now. Doesn’t even care about the kids or anyone else anymore.