How to ensure safety of puppy when walking in a neighborhood full of stray dogs and cats.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Reben, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Reben

Reben Registered Users

Also, what age should I start walking my Labrador Puppy outside? I'm concerned on their exercise regime.

Thank you!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Your puppy shouldn't be allowed on the ground outside (other than in your own garden) until she has had all her vaccinations. This is usually around 13 weeks. There may be one more booster vaccination after this at 16 weeks, but vets are generally OK with pups going on the ground after their 12-week (plus a week to let it take effect).
    You should still be taking her out and about before this to see the world, but you need to carry her at this age to keep her safe from parvovirus and other bugs that can kill puppies - especially if you have a problem in your area with strays.

3. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

How old is your puppy? Where do you live: out in the country or in a town or city? Where would be taking the puppy to walk?

Puppies often can handle no more than 5 minutes or so of walking for each month of age. My breeder said that after a year, they can pretty much do anything you want like much longer hikes if you build them up to it.