How to find my dog a mate?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Nick Burrows, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Nick Burrows

Nick Burrows Registered Users

Hello everyone,

I have a beautiful 2 year old working lab who does not work. He is a wonderful dog, has passed all health tests and has 40 field trial champions in his 5 generation pedigree (if memory serves).
    We have decided that at some point in the future we would like a puppy from him, but have no clue how to go about doing this? I'm sure that with his pedigree, he would be an attractive stud. How would I find him a mate?

Thanks.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

ohthatcat likes this.
  3. Nick Burrows

Hi,

This is not an advert! I am asking for general advice on how I would go about finding a mate for my dog in several years time. I'm not looking for payment, just want to know the proper way to get a puppy from my male dog.

Thanks.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you can understand that we get plenty of people trying to advertise (all sorts of random things!) on the forum, so Jacqui wasn't being rude, she was just making sure you understood the rules in case you were hoping to find a mate through here. It's certainly not a problem asking questions and for advice :)

I'm not personally knowledgable about the intricacies of breeding, but, having just done a lot of research before buying my latest puppy, I'd say the ball is generally in the court of the bitch owner. So, find a bitch you like the look of (Champdogs is probably as good a place as any to start) and approach the owner. But, be prepared for a lot of knock-backs. Asking around with the kennels in this way may provide you with leads to other breeders who may be more interested; it's a pretty small world out there. You could also talk to people at your local gundog club(s). Be clear about what you want in a bitch and why your dog will make a desirable mate. He doesn't need to just have been health tested, he will need to have great scores. You need to ensure there is a low CoI between him and any prospective mate. You need to be prepared to "sell" him. Just being a lovely dog won't be enough.

The fact there's lots of red in your dog's pedigree may make him a bit more desirable than one with none, but serious breeders will be more interested in the stud dog's accolades than what has come before him. And, of course, temperament, looks etc.

The article Jacqui linked above is a good one: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/so-you-want-your-labrador-to-be-a-stud-dog/

Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for!

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Generally it's owners of bitches who go looking for a suitable stud dog - or, putting it another way, it's the bitch owners who can afford to be choosy :) To make your boy a good prospect you'd want to first get him tested for all the relevant inherited disorders (which I think are in those articles above). Then you'd need to find some way to show off his abilities in some way, which wouldn't have to be in gundog work but might be other forms of retrieving trials or even obedience training and trials. Generally, males need to have built up a track record to be attractive to bitch owners, as they have so many options to choose from.

You will want to be choosy about a bitch too, looking for good test results, good conformation and temperament etc.

6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I don't really have any personal experience in breeding from my dogs. If I was to breed from my bitch I would be looking for very specific criteria to match for. My understanding though, is that most breeders are looking for "proven" stud dogs, either in the physical act,( apparently mating isn't as straightforward as I thought, especially for the females) evidence of ability if working, or success on the showbench.
    We have thought about breeding from our bitch though, she has a such a lovely temperament, a joy to train, combined with solid working ability. Assuming all her health tests were OK, then I would be looking a a low CoI in a partner, evidence of working ability, but largely showline, a calm temperament. I would, and this would just be my personal thoughts, be looking for a stud at least 4-5 years old and would like to have sight of medical records. Not too much to ask maybe?:D

7. Nick Burrows

So am I right in assuming that a healthy and very handsome dog of excellent pedigree but without any accolades and an owner who is unable to offer a stud service would be unlikely to find a breeder willing to use him as a stud?

8. snowbunny

I think you're very unlikely to find a breeder with a very good (working, trialling, showing) bitch who would accept him. Conversely, there would, I'm sure, be plenty of pet breeders who would be more than happy, if you can find them. It depends what you're after in the bitch.

9. snowbunny

Just another thread to think along, too; once dogs have had sex, they can develop very strong sexual urges in the future. Sometimes even later castration isn't enough to suppress these urges, and so your boy will be more likely to be distracted by bitches in season and want to tie with them.

I suppose you could imagine it yourself; if you were only able to have sex once in your life, how much more frustrated would you feel afterwards?

10. Beanwood

That's interesting, as I heard the exact opposite...I wonder if age comes into it at all? :eek::D

11. Beanwood

I really don't know, and certainly don't want to come across as negative :) I am in the highlands of Scotland right now, and have been outside with an old gamekeeper who used to breed labs. He instantly guessed her pedigree, commented on her type, head and even temperament. He knew she was entire, we had already had a conversation about spaying. He then said "I presume you are going to breed from her, I can see she is good, she would be very suited to this terrain" So I don't know. He really, really knew his stuff though. It just goes to show it really depends on what you are looking for, for what purpose, yours and the potential breeders experience.