How to practice loose leach walk and no leash biting to 10 week puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by andreasjuuls, Jan 21, 2015.

1. andreasjuuls

andreasjuuls Registered Users

Louis is pretty okay with wearing colar and leash around the house when playing sleeping hanging out eating trainimg etc

Next step is to practice leash walk in the house and on the large terassa and we started that

It's going okay but often he stops or goes off to the side and hence tighten the leash. Also, he tends to bite the leash often when we walk

What's best practice positive trainimg approach?

I give him treats and say good boy when walking on loose leash and not bite. When ever leash gets tight or he bites I just stop and wait for adequate behavior to happen. Then resume and if behavior is maintained I treat and praise

However, seems to work a bit but duration of good behavior is still only a few steps.

Any other approach?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: How to practice loose leach walk and no leash biting to 10 week puppy

Get rid of the lead, then he can't tighten it. :). Teach him to walk alongside you with no lead at all. Then add the lead when he can do that.

There are different ways to do this. In this video, Claire has taught the dog to "target" and follow her hand then is using a clicker to mark the behaviour she wants.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BEg4oaBLFyc

This is with a 7 month old dog, that has learned to learn, you can expect nothing like this from a 10 week old pup, but you can make a start by encouraging him to trot alongside you and marking that - with a clicker or word - and giving him a treat.

More techniques here:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/clicker-training-heel/

Your pup is 10 weeks old, lead walking will take a while :). If you need to get him from A to B in the meantime, use a back fastening harness, and save the collare for lead walking training.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What she said :)

4. sashamo

sashamo Registered Users

Video removed :(

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh, that's a shame, it was a great video. For people who are members of facebook, Claire Raymond's videos are posted on the positive gundog facebook page. I'll have a look later and see whether she has a YouTube channel that people can view.