How to raise a pup and what to do first

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jeimer, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Jeimer

Jeimer Registered Users

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I will have my first pup this February. I just want to ask if it's okay to let him sleep in my room, do I need to put him inside a cage or build a barricade and a soft small bed for him and a wee pad. But I'm worried when he poop or pee. What to do? :D Help me guys, I want him to be a good and sociable dog :)

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Jeimer and welcome to the forum. How old will your puppy be? It's absolutely fine for him to sleep in your room, but he should be in a pen or crate for his own safety and to protect your things. There are different ways of dealing with toileting overnight. You can make sure he has a big area, and put out puppy pads or newspaper, or you can set your alarm for every couple of hours to take him outside overnight. Having tried both, I prefer the alarm option, but I know others get on well with the newspaper/pads.

I recommend you get a copy of the Happy Puppy Handbook, which will answer many of these questions. The main site has loads of information about puppies, too - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

What to do first ? .... Like Snowbunny says, get the "Happy Puppy handbook" and memorize it. In my opinion every puppy should come with one. What to do second ... get the " Total Recall" book and use it as well.

snowbunny likes this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I've had three dogs from puppies and each have slept in my room, in their own bed, without a crate. I put down plastic sheeting topped with newspaper and went to sleep! They each squeaked a bit but I spoke reassuringly to them and they settled. Within a few nights they were dry overnight (I've been lucky enough not to have overnight poos - I think I'd get up and clear that up though). My pups slept through for about 6 1/2 - 7 hours to start with - I was willing to call any time from 5.30am morning, but they gradually slept longer.
    Puppies are tiring, but it passes.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome.
    I echo all of the above comments. We tried a crate but our girl hated it. We put her on her bed next to ours and she slept well from that day on.
    Do buy the happy puppy book as its got loads of really good advice, especially for first time pup owners.