how to stop crate rattling in car?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by blackandwhitedog, Jul 12, 2016.

1. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

Another post, sorry if I'm monopolizing the forum this evening!

Does anyone have a good solution to stop dog crate doors rattling in the car? Currently I wrap bits of towelling around the crate door, but I have to do that every time I open and close the crate while travelling and it's a pain. I can't think of any other solutions that are safe for the dog to chew on (which she will inevitably do), but will also buffer the crate doors enough to stop the rattle. Thanks!

2. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Cable ties are cheap to buy in bulk. Dog wouldn't be able to chew on them if you've secured them tight. Would be a pain to have to snip them open every time though...

3. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

Cable ties would certainly be faster than my current method and I have some in the house. I'd prefer something more sustainable but that's a good idea for now. Thanks!

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Electrical tape to remove the metal on metal element? Unfortunately if you have a standard metal folding crate rather than a car specific crate they're not really designed to minimise noise.

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Not had that problem but I wonder if velcro ties would tighten the door and they' be easy to open still. I'm thinking of something like these cross country ski ones that I use to keep a cat door closed. You can get them with padding on them too. They might be chewable though, I think.

http://www.nordicskiersports.com/xc/accessories/ski-straps/swix-ski-straps-r0397.html

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5002-805/Nordic-Ski-Strap

My crate is metal and folding but I don't notice a lot of noise from the door. I do put a comforter under it, maybe that helps.

6. Sim

Sim Registered Users

I also use the towel trick, relatively easy, shut the crate door and then squeeze a towel up through the one corner to wedge the door tight :)