How to stop step by step

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JohnL, Aug 24, 2014.

1. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

Well, guys and dolls; it seems I only find time to get on the forum when I really need a bit of advice. I wish I were more organised in my private life I really do. :'(
    Anyway, the problem at the moment with Chester (or rather with me as I've caused it!!) is that Chester and I love time together on the Sofa but now he's got it into his mind that he can jump up on there whenever he wants and it's become a nuisance... like when you are trying to drink tea or something and its worse when I have a guest in the house... he just wants to scramble up onto their laps.
    I know he's got to be trained 'four on the floor' but will it cure the furniture problem? I would like him to not go onto the furniture at all until I give him the command to do so... when I feel like a cwtch for example. Your step by step advice would be appreciated. Thanks folks ;)

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Registered Users

Re: How to stop step by step

I think I would choose a command for it. Then when he was on the floor and not trying to jump on the couch I would give the command and pick him up or call him up.
    It will probable take a long time, but he should be able to learn the difference between come up by choice and on command

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Not very good at training advice John but Lilly is only allowed up when "her" blanket is on the sofa. Not sure if this could help you at all. You are going to have to stop her getting up then relearn it.

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Do you use a clicker ? Or ir could be trained with a verbal marker. You could train her to sit/lie on a mat on cue and train a cue for getting on the couch.

Have the mat (could be a rug or blanket) near the couch. When you dont want her on the furniture cue mat then reward her by letting her up with you when your ready. You can also cue mat when visitors come.

If you trained it with a blanket on the floor you could move it onto the couch when she's allowed on licke Jacqui suggested.

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Just to say you are not the only one! Pongo was not allowed on the sofa until I dragged him up there one day to keep my feet warm.... now he inhabits it....

We are really not very good at training, are we? ;)

6. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

Thanks to you all for the advice. I suppose Rosie's was the most influential, as Chester now has the run of the sofa. I suppose if he gets too big for the two of us to sit on it I'll have to train him then.... perhaps by moving to a chair ;)

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=JohnL link=topic=7482.msg108921#msg108921 date=1410506985]
    I suppose if he gets too big for the two of us to sit on it I'll have to train him then.... perhaps by moving to a chair ;)
    [/quote]

Ah, now you've got it. ;D

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I suppose if he gets too big for the two of us to sit on it I'll have to train him then.... perhaps by moving to a chair

No perhaps about it, unless you choose to sit on the floor

9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

It can be difficult to break 'furniture habits' and to be successful, you usually need to restrict the dog's access to the room in question (baby gate) and then supervise access to the room, and train the dog to lie in an alternative place for short periods of time.

You can allow the dog unrestricted access again once the new sleeping place is a well ingrained habit. This can take a long time, depending on how long the dog has been allowed on the furniture for.

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

John we are the same as Jacqui .Dexter only comes up when he sees his blanket laid out and he's told hup hup.....he wasn't allowed up until he was about 15 months old and I finally got fed up of sitting on the floor for cuddles ::) He'd probably tried it on only a couple of times and when he did I'd just say off and give him a treat.
    I've just got lucky with this,he just 'got it' he wouldn't dream of getting up unless his blanket is there.
    How are you getting on with the rest of Chester's training?have you settled down to life together ok? X