humping random dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by laurenxo, May 29, 2016.

1. laurenxo

laurenxo Registered Users

Henry is 4month old and old just started doing this i had them both out on a field so i could let them both off and we came across a bulldog which he tried to hump, then another jack russell, but the jack russell ran away when it realised henry was trying to hump him lol. Anyway how can i discourage this its so embarrassing! at least he doesnt run off though he will sit and wait for us till we have caught up with him

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Train a cue (it could be your recall, but you might prefer another cue) that gets your dog to whip round and return to you and get it strong enough so he will return to you even when he is thinking of humping another dog, in this way, you interrupt him every time he is going to hump, and hopefully you will prevent him developing a habit. :) Also interrupt him if he starts chasing another dog with the intention to hump, and the other dog is avoiding.

3. laurenxo

ive tried that lol once hes in the zone theirs no stopping him! lol hes abit young be neutered yet though

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, you have to keep him on a lead or a long line around other dogs then, really, so you can use the line to interrupt him - although I'd say training a strong cue is the easier option, because long lines are tricky to use safely, I think. If he develops a habit now, it won't be solved later by neutering him and probably isn't sexual anyway. :) It's really worth sorting this out now, I think.

A male who humps can get into awful trouble later if he picks the wrong dog to try it on - and it's not fair on the other dogs. My dog has had cruciate surgery on his back legs, I suspect it might hurt him if dogs hump him, and he'll stand and fight if a determined dog persists.

laurenxo likes this.
  5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy Registered Users

Sam hasn't yet tried humping other dogs outside ( just our own dog & cats :rolleyes:) . 'Leave it' works for us with the humping and lots of other stuff too . I fully expect him to eventually try humping the big Bernese mountain dog up the street though, he just adores him :D

laurenxo likes this.
  6. laurenxo

hes a little rebel! if this doesnt work puppy classes it is! lol

7. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

Poor Mole got thoroughly humped last night at a friends house. They had a visiting male lab who was very enthusiastic about mole and would not stop climbing on top of him. It got so bad he actually "released" (no good way of saying it!:(eek: and was finally put away. I had to bath my confused pup when we got home. Sigh....I wonder if it's the hormones a 7 month old pup exudes as it was really very strange!
    Hopefully that won't happen on a regular basis!!!
    Sam and Mole

8. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Oh poor Mole...not a good experience. Luckily my boy has not shown interest in humping other dogs yet, but he has been the humpee....left him rather confused, although the other owners have been good and quick to remove their dogs. Not had it that persistent or with the happy ending either :oops:.