1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

'Hunt' Whistle

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by charlie, Nov 20, 2017.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have finally taken the plunge to teach Charlie a 'hunt' whistle after his recent success at 'find it' on
    WALKS, really, really can't stop grinning about this and still can't believe it :D

My question is, does it matter how many 'hunt' whistles I do to help Charlie 'find it' when he's in the correct area? Is it easily poisoned just as a 'recall' or 'stop' whistle?

A little request if possible. Could anyone who has filmed their 'hunt' whistle please post so that I can see clearly what I am supposed to be doing. Also I don't want my 'peeps' to be close to my other ones so hearing others will make it clear to me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you xxx :)

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

This is Shadow doing a bit. You can see he prefers the canvas dummy to the plastics so swaps. We're working on this :D

It's a very small area because he tends to hunt too wide, so I'm bringing it back in.

Forgive the ridiculous whistle sound. This is the one that was "altered" by Luna :D

3. Peartree

Peartree Registered Users

I have been taught the hunt whistle slightly differently to snow bunny. It doesn’t matter how many times you blow the whistle as long as you are only blowing it in the hunt area. So the minute that they wander too far out of the area you want them to hunt, you stop blowing. Ideally you want them to start hunting in a 6 ft radius and then spiral out from that. A trad trainer explained to me that you would really want your dog to start hunting by turning behind them and hunting behind. The reason for this is that if you have not send them out far enough and they hunt forward then they will never come across the dummy or game.

Stacia likes this.
  4. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I am with @Peartree on this one. My application of the hunt whistle (or the vocal cue) is different to @snowbunny 's. I only use it as the dog comes to the area I want him to put his nose down to hunt on the outrun part of the retrieve. It is not a cue to retrieve but to put its nose down and to start searching for the retrieve. In a young dog I even put in an extra step. I send the dog out, then use the stop whistle when the dog gets to the fall area, and then use my hunt whistle. What I then would like to see is a dog to put its nose down and start searching.

Stacia likes this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I don't think that's too dissimilar to what I'm doing - this is just the "hunt" part without the retrieve. The reason they're facing me to start is to make the start of the spiral pattern in which I want them to search. Like this:

Yes, I would normally have this on the end of an outrun, but we were just working on the "hunt" part separate to that, to join up again later :)

6. heidrun

Think of the spiral pattern starting (and not ending)with the point in the middle where the dog puts its nose down to search when hearing the hunt whistle and then making the spiral circles bigger as it searches the area. Does that make sense?

Stacia likes this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks everyone but I am getting muddled o_O I understood the 'hunt' whistle to be an indicator of where the food/ball whatever is so it's simply to tell the dog he is in the right location and to keep his nose down.

I throw/hide the 'whatever', I send Charlie out then blow my 'hunt' whistle? :) x

Stacia likes this.
  8. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Ahh...I taught the hunt whistle with Bramble in the hunt area, literally just a foot away, but not knowing where the article/treat was, using long grass to hide it. This is where my scented snipes come into to play :)

charlie likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes, this is what I am doing, close to start off with. I had a go yesterday with a ball in a sock (don't ask :rolleyes: ) which I hid, sent him to 'find it', blow 'hunt' whistle, Charlie found it and delivered straight to hand :) x

What's scented snipes @Beanwood? o_O x

10. heidrun

Helen, do actually need a hunt whistle? A hunt whistle is used on blind retrieves to indicate to the dog while he is on the outrun that he has reached the fall area and to start searching.

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't think it matters a jot what whistle you use, or some other kind of cue, Helen. This is to be an engaging game for the two of you, and doesn't have to correspond to anyone else's rules. So, as I understand it, you'll hide some toys or treats for him, and then you'll give him a command to 'go look for it' (or whatever cue you decide on), and then when he's close by you'll blow the hunt whistle. Right? I would just pick a whistle signal for hunting that is different to your recall whistle. For instance, my recall whistle is 'toot toot', and my hunt whistle is slower, 'peep peep peeeeeep, peep peep peeeeep...'

Peartree and charlie like this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

No not at all, I just wanted to add to Charlie's recent success with 'find it' on walks to maybe make it a little more exciting. Maybe I have gotten carried away :oops: and should just stick to the 'find it' which is helping to keep him a little engaged on walks. I should be grateful he has FINALLY reached any form of engagement/focus :rolleyes: But, he does love to retrieve a dummy doing blinds etc. in the garden, I could just do it for fun then? I just try to find ways to keep his brain working aswell as his body. He really does quite well delivering to hand too don't you know :D

Thanks as always everyone, I appreciate it xx :)

selina27 likes this.
  13. heidrun

To me the hunt whistle (or my verbal cue "lost there") is a way of telling the dog "you are close, just put your nose down and search, and the reward in the form of finding either the retrieve or food is there".
    If you want to incorporate it into your training simply use the verbal cue or the whistle cue the moment Charlie's nose zooms into the dummy or whatever he is searching for.

Stacia and Karen like this.
  14. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is me & Coco. We use the whistle for "find it", but it really is just another game - it is nothing to do with retrieving for us. Well it isn't at the moment.

charlie and Karen like this.
  15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Maybe you could teach him the difference between searches that are close by, and ones that are a bit further away from you? So, this is some training I've been doing with Merlin, to differentiate between two hunt cues. I sit him on a path in the woods. I let him see me put three dummies out on one side of the path in the wood, over a wider area, up to about 10 or 15 meters away. He sees that I am walking around, and I make a noise to indicate I've got dummies, but he doesn't see where I hide them. On the other side of the path he then sees me hide three other dummies, under leaves, in a much smaller area, close to the path.

Then I send him for alternate dummies, one long followed by one short, on either side of the path, using a very clear and distinct command for each. So for instance, if your command 'find it' means 'go and search that area of wood until you find a dummy', that's what you would use. And then perhaps you'd use the hunt whistle, together with a hand signal, on the other side of the path, to show that he has to search very close by.

Just a suggestion! It may not work for Charlie at all, but Merlin loves it!

Stacia and charlie like this.
  16. heidrun

This is how I use the hunt whistle. You can also hear the difference between the stop whistle, hunt whistle (given twice), and the recall whistle. It is a blind retrieve and I use one of those dinky little dummies so that Caddie has to get her nose deep down into the grass and can't rely on just sighting the dummy.

FoxyLady, Peartree, edzbird and 4 others like this.
  17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Perfect!!

heidrun likes this.
  18. heidrun

Caddie says "Thank you". :D

Karen likes this.
  19. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Thank you Caddie, I have just had a very confused Bramble look at the sofa...then look at me as if to say "really???" :D
    But oh...just look at Caddie's sweet face at the end....:heart:

heidrun likes this.
  20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks for the video @heidrun and don't you both make it look so easy :) x

@Karen you make it sound so easy but I it's a bit beyond Charlie, but I do think I could keep it simple and hide one or two dummies in the garden and start there, you never know!. I think I have to keep it simple. Maybe my next puppy ;) x

I feel I would like to prove that Charlie is up to it as he has learnt a lot of things I never thought he would. :) xx

selina27 likes this.