Husband bonding with the pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kate D, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Kate D

Kate D Registered Users

Hello all, I’m hoping for some advice/support as a first time puppy owner. I’ve wanted a dog my whole life. My husband knew this but I always said he had the final decision about a dog. He was the one who suggested we go look at one and he chose him out of the litter etc. Now he’s here, I’m totally in love and adore him. But husband after initially saying he was excited is now showing no interest at all and instead is getting cross when pup bites etc. He is saying things like “Is this normal” (yes!), “I’m not a dog person” and “You pushed this”. So I feel like every time pup does anything, it is basically my fault. He’s not really contributing to the care of pup and because he’s said it was me pushing for pup, I don’t feel I can ask him to do anything. I work full time (from home) and have two children so feeling a bit burnt out at this stage.

I’m heartbroken as I adore pup and I hope he feels very loved by me, but a part of me feels he deserves a family where everyone loves him for who he is and sees what a privilege it is to have a dog as lovely as him.

Does anyone have any advice? I’m trying to just have patience with my husband and hope the bond will improve when he’s out the puppy stage, but I’m losing a bit of heart.

Thanks for listening :)

2. Chris N

Chris N Registered Users

Hi Kate

I will be honest I cannot relate. But I do sympathise.

He choose him out of the litter. Take it the pups a boy. Generally with dogs I've found females bond more with men and males with women.

Can I ask how old are your kids? Are they involved at all with training?

Teething is difficult had are boy a week and my hands look like I've been involved in a fight with a cat and come in second place. Loads of info on here that's helping me.

Not a psychologist or anything of the sort but...
    Having a pup is like having a kid really. Any chance there is a little but of envy over the attention the pup gets from you? It's more common than people are willing to admit.

Wish I could do more than just say goodluck.

Chris

3. Teresa Ross

Teresa Ross Registered Users

Hi Kate,

I was worried about this kind of thing happening to us. Me being a 'dog person' and my husband not so much. I know my Husband bonded through short training sessions with our pup while I was busy in kitchen etc...He would work on a particular thing which our pup was learning i.e recall, or fetch and made it into a play session with him. He seemed to enjoy it and it helped me because the pup was getting the practice in. I just leave them completely alone for 10-15 mins in the morning/evening when ever my husband is around and they work on a short training session with plenty of kibble. Regarding the biting, I guess it is how puppys play and he wants to engage with him. I suppose the pup needs to learn thats not right way to play and give him an alternative 'game' and he will grow out of it, especially when his teeth are fully through.

Don't loose heart, you're going to have good and bad days with a young pup and with having children as well, but remember you just brought the young pup into your family and household, its new for everyone, a completely change of environment. It will take time and patience to adapt to a new schedule and having a new responsibility but it will be worth it.