Hyper Charlie

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Oct 13, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie has been really odd lately, over the last 3 or 4 days - he seems really unable to settle. This is not like him at all. He usually does everything 100% - and that includes being flat out on his back on the sofa at regular intervals.

On walks, he is rushing about like a banshee. He will still always do what I ask, but in a distracted, over excited, way and can barely sit still when asked. In the house, he doesn't settle when he would normally, eg after walks, trips out, after training, in the evening. He does have a "on your mat and settle" command, which he will obey, but doesn't really relax. If I put him in his pen, he'll push at the bars, and pace round, which is not at all normal for him.

He seems fine in himself, poo all normal etc. eating and drinking well, etc. His ear infection has mostly gone now.

Two things have changed. First, he is getting fewer treats on walks (we're just at the end of phasing a lot out), so his kibble ration has gone up and he is getting more meals. And he is not getting any retrieves on walks, but we are substituting recalls between two people, so he still gets flat out running if he wants it (which he does).

Might be the kibble? Or just one of those things - perhaps he is getting older, and fitter, and needs a bit more exercise now? Or maybe I just need to work more on him controlling himself properly?

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Hyper Charlie

My 20 month old Lab has become the same!! I thought it was due to his castration! Maybe not, I do remember that my very well behaved GSPs in the summer changed as the winter came, perhaps there is more scent about?

I have given my Lab more things to do, retrieving difficult retrieves, hunting for well hidden tennis balls in long grass, anything to use his brain and this does help.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Julie , I dont think its anything to do with his kibble change, more that he isnt doing retrieves on walks and doesnt like it , sort of protesting ? I went through a stage with Sam where I tried to phase them out as I thought he was becomming obsessive about them, but he was thoroughly miserable so back them came even if it was just with a ball . I do have one walk where its just not possible to do retrieves and he accepts this, but we do Sit/Stays instead as I find that his brain just has to be occupied or he is not a happy lad :)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Looking back over your posts, he's about 8 months old now? My guess is that you've just got a teenager on your hands. There is a reason why it's not uncommon for Labs to be re-homed at about 9 to 10 months (Obi, I'm looking at you!!!). I'm absolutely sure that Charlie will not have it too bad, though. You've got a wonderful relationship with him and he's extremely well educated already.

I think that the things you mentioned are the way to go - give him lots of stuff to think about to substitute for the reduced retrieve work (no doubt also a factor) and also work on self-control and patience type exercises. When we got Obi (at 9 months) we had to work on patience big-time. On walks we did a lot of 'we are practising waiting while the humans sit on this nice bench and we'll get up and keep moving when you lie down and stop barking your head off right in our faces'. Charlie is waaaay better than that (and so is Obi now). :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Really useful thoughts, thanks so much.

Yes, he is 8 months in a week or so.

I packed his walk today with things to do, he got just 2 x 5 minutes of free time. I can't say he was much better in terms of focus, but he is much quieter now at home. After wreaking his pen though, mats everywhere, when he was supposed to be having his post walk "now calm down with a chew" 10 minutes. ::)

I didn't do a lot of "just wait" time though, as it was raining cats and dogs, and was a bit much (for me!) to stand still for long. I think it's right that he was already in need of more patience type exercises, and this is bringing that home to me.

I'll have to have a more disciplined routine of exercise, training, play time, pen time, with him if this is going to continue. I can't be running round constantly stopping him chewing and generally disrupting the house! I'll never get any work done.

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Sometimes we inadvertently reward the 'absence of calm' (trying to think of the right word for that, but brain not in gear :) ) by rewarding activity with attention and ignoring calm behaviour.

Have you seen this article Julie? Calm behaviour in the house can be trained to an extent.

7. debsie

debsie Registered Users

thumbs up from me for Pippas article. Ever since she was tiny Cuillin has always wanted to be doing something. even after long walks. she found it very hard to settle in the house and this started to peak around Charlies age. i think its in her nature to want to be busy, shes a clever lass, but i inadvertently rewarded her hyperness in the house by giving her too much attention when she wasnt calm and giving her too much to do which made her worse! now i try to make sure her walks have plenty thinky stuff in them as well as physical stuff, like you do, and they get play time and training time in the house but i also had to train her to be calm. it did take a while and she still seems to find it much harder to settle than brods and my sisters two, luckily brods is normally Mr Chilled in our house or it would have been a very busy house! and actually she is much happier for it!

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Pippa, I had read that article before but it's a useful reminder - we were just saying "don't disturb the puppy, he's quiet at last"! Off to give him a bit of cheese instead.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie you are a legend and only 8 months old - just brilliant Julie. Helen xx

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Priceless ;D ;D

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D ;D
    8)

13. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator