I got Big Problem, Urgent HELP, about Stairs and Puppy(suggestion please)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by honey148, Mar 27, 2016.

1. honey148

honey148 Registered Users

hi,
    my puppy have rickets, she got hip dysplasia because of that,
    she recovered alot, she is 12 months old, no sign of pain and always play.
    my home is at second floor and there is shop on rent below,
    since 8 months, i carry her and lift to go outside for poop,
    she is now 25 KG, im still struggling and will always, i still carry her and lift her outside,
    i never let her to climb stairs it will effect recovery,
    i got tired bit, i have work and i cant always give her time or take her outside always after some time,
    im also suffering from hiatus hernia from 6 months, im still struggling, i never let her to climb stairs,

this is big problem for me, the big problem is my home is at second floor,
    indoor is full slippery tiles, i always keep her non slippery mate and some time i allow to walk on floor with non slippery socks(that helps alot)

what should i do, that is big problem for me
    is there any technique she climb stairs without any damage to bone,
    btw she got 70% recovery from rickets and hip issue, her parents were fine..
    please give me suggestion..

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh dear, this really is a big problem for you . If you have someone who could help you, maybe you could make a sort of sling which fits under her as a support, made from a sheet ? If you could get her used to this indoors , and have someone to help you to hold the sling up to get her down the stairs ?

3. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I would look for a strong sturdy harness with a handle on the back that will help you steady and control her on the stairs, I believe Ruffwear do a good one. I'll see if I can find a picture of one.......

4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Can she actually walk up and down the stairs herself? If so, just put her on lead and walk slowly with her. Stop regularly as you go up or down the stairs and give her a treat for stopping. She'll learn that she has to go slowly.

6. honey148

honey148 Registered Users

thanks to everyone,
    she can walk up and down easily like normal dog, but i never allowed her to do.. this can interfere with treatment of hip.
    i dont know how to teach her to climb but this process still needs me, i want her to do herself without me and without affecting her bones..

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If she is capable of walking up the stairs then just put her on lead and walk up and down the stairs wth her, stopping frequently for a treat (this will keep her going slow as she's always expecting to stop for a treat). If she's not sure what to do then lure her up the stairs with treats in front of her nose. Keep her on your left side. Also ask for and reward a sit at the bottom and top of the stairs. I doubt that walking up and down stairs slowly will harm her. Carrying a heavy dog up and down the stairs will very likely harm you though and I don't think it's safe.