I have a poorly puppy :( What to do....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lee Bell, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Lee Bell

Lee Bell Registered Users

Hi everyone

I have a poorly puppy not sure what to do with him. He seems to be straining when going to he toilet like he is constipated. I have managed to get him to drink some water but he is struggling. He also seems very lethargic this morning just sitting in our knees and sleeping. I've made some ice cubes some i'm going to give him them to keep him hydrated but do I still feed and walk him as usual? He isn't crying out in pain or anything. A family member gave him some different treats yesterday than what we give him I don't know if this is the cause.

Thanks for any advice.

Pippa x

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Re: I have a poorly puppy :( What to do....

I think I would get him to the vets as soon as possible,,,especially if he seems to be straining to go the toilet, coupled with being lethargic and not wanting to drink.

Good luck and hope he feels better soon! :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, I agree with the suggestion of a vet visit. Hope he is ok.

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would phone vet for advice if you feel reluctant to take the pup on a Sunday 'out of hours', though my vet does have a surgery on Sunday morning. Being lethargic indicates that the pup is not well, is he eating?

5. Lee Bell

Yes he is eating had his breakfast as normal. He has also just had a massive drink of water, typical after I panic and post. I think ill give the vets a ring and get some advice.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree, if he's eating and drinking normally but not pooing, a visit to the vets is advisable.

Hope he's OK xx

(A teaspoon of Manuka honey mixed in water is great for getting them drinking)

7. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Do you have any missing socks?

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hoping he is better soon, what a worry they are at times x

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I hope he's OK? x

10. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

When they are little I tend to check in with the vet over things like this, lethargy and toilet troubles. Better to be safe than sorry!

I hope your poor puppy is better soon! :c

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hope he's feeling better? What did the vet suggest?

12. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Yes, please let us know what the vet said. So sorry.....hope he is over it soon.

13. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Hope Indy is feeling better soon, let us know how she is xxx

14. Lee Bell

Hi everyone

Thanks for the messages no i dont have any missing socks however after reading that i have moved them all out of the way. He had a sleep this morning and woke up full of beans and energy as usual he is eating normal and drinking normal however he still has not been to the toilet. I have rang my vet and she says to keep an eye on him today and if he still hasnt gone in the morning to give her another ring. Im hoping he will be ok by morning. He is having a wee fine. Fingers crossed will keep u updated x

15. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Hi Pippa, just wondered how Indy is getting on?

16. Lee Bell

Hi Wendy

Sorry for the late response talk about a busy few days. He seems ok now everything is normal. Monday morning he threw up his breakfast so was really concerned called the vet and took there advice about what to do with food and water etc. and by the end of the night he was back to his old self getting into mischief.

He has been fine the last couple of days, whatever it was seems to have worked out of his system.

Now to just get him walking lol :)

17. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Glad Indys ok, was worried for you. Thats the trouble with puppies, they cant tell you whats wrong, and we worry constantly!
    Iizy has been a pain when out for walks on our lane. Shes off lead and i take my old Archie too, and shes constantly harrassing him, jumping him and biting him. Cos hes got athritis in his back legs he goes down and it breaks my heart. Yesterday she pushed him too far and he bit her, which made her cry and cower, but i dont blame him. Didnt do any damage and shes been back at it again today! I think ill need to put her on the lead when she starts, cos i cant have her hurting my old boy.

18. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Wendy68 link=topic=9741.msg141724#msg141724 date=1423085404]
    Glad Indys ok, was worried for you. Thats the trouble with puppies, they cant tell you whats wrong, and we worry constantly!
    Iizy has been a pain when out for walks on our lane. Shes off lead and i take my old Archie too, and shes constantly harrassing him, jumping him and biting him. Cos hes got athritis in his back legs he goes down and it breaks my heart. Yesterday she pushed him too far and he bit her, which made her cry and cower, but i dont blame him. Didnt do any damage and shes been back at it again today! I think ill need to put her on the lead when she starts, cos i cant have her hurting my old boy.
    [/quote]

Or separate walks for a while?

19. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Yes that maybe the answer, but don't always have the time. We shall see how she is tomorrow.

20. Lee Bell

oh poor Archie lol maybe a lead when she gets too rowdy would be good.

Indy has gone from good to bad and now has blood in his stools :( we are going to the vets today after calling them last night. I've been goggling ( possibly the worst thing I can do) and am worrying he has swollen something that is maybe stuck or has cut him. We are so careful with him though and never let him have anything he shouldn't so I don't know how this could have happened. I have a family member come in during the day and i'm wondering whether they have left him to his own devices maybe only for a minute or were side tracked. He is ok in him self though, his usual self.

arrh I wish he could just talk and tell me what's wrong! :(