I need some ideas please, puppy biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mom2girls1974, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Mom2girls1974

Mom2girls1974 Registered Users

Watson is 11 weeks tomorrow -that went fast! He is just a love -except for the biting :( yikes I had read all about the croc o' pup but did I ever underestimate it! and it seems to be getting worse every day. Both my kids have special needs and my daughter who has Autism is now quite nervous (rightly) to move anywhere near him. My other daughter go nipped badly by him yesterday and is telling anyone who will listen that he bites :( he does not lol -he is just a pup with razors in his mouth.

So -here is where I need help, especially if any of you have kids with special needs, what do I keep in this guys mouth to keep his mouth off the kids? He loves those beef tendons (if you know what they are -very long and last for ever) and I try and keep him chewing them. He has not figured out the kong but I am still trying. He will stay in the kennel for about 10-15 min at a time now, with a treat quiet happily, some respite there.

Is it getting worse at this age "normal"? he has got latched on to me a number of times and then not let go -ouch!

Thanks

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would get baby gates and keep them separate unless you are able to supervise very closely.

They stop the worst of the biting by six months old, but then the teenage stage begins when they can be very unpredictable. We have twins in our family (four years old) and I keep Mollie on lead when they are around.

Here is some great advice - http://www.thelabradorsite.com/excited-puppy/

3. Mom2girls1974

That was very helpful -thanks. I had been thinking that some of it was over excitement because it happens a lot at certain times -like during play, and when he first gets up -so he has a lot more energy. I will try putting him in his crate when he does it. I hope that does not make him dislike the crate he is starting to love, and go into by his own choice...

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I have grandchildren and they come regularly. We have a baby gate at the kitchen and when Red our puppy was in the very bitey stage I would let the children decide if they wanted to come into the kitchen. If they did they were totally supervised. At other times Red would be on her lead and again I would supervise all interactions. My two grand daughters were very wary of her and one of them still sits on the settee with her legs up but Red is much calmer now at 7 months and so that is getting easier.

Yes their teeth are very sharp and my DH and I got some nasty scratches and 'bites' - I had a really deep one on my hand by accidentally getting in the wrong way. My grandson also got some scratches but he is less afraid of interacting with her. All the children join in the games and training. Red will sit and stay while we prepare the Ruffle Snuffle mat. She responds well to them asking her to do things.

Obviously it is more difficult for you as your children are there all the time. He will get the hang of kongs soon and things will get easier.

selina27 likes this.
  5. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Although I don't have children from 8 weeks old Bailey came with me to work at the rugby club and every Sunday there were around 200 children running around the grounds. While Bailey was in his crocopup phase (and my goodness he was a biter!) any interaction with the children was very closely supervised either by myself or my OH. My nephew who also works at the rugby club (when not out playing rugby that is) was also supervising. To be honest most Sunday's it was a case of take the dog away so that he could rest. Bailey was always glad to get into his crate!

Now however the children that want to pet Bailey, know how to approach him so that he doesn't get overexcited and Bailey knows if he sits still he gets a treat (usually from one of the kids).

I know much of this is probably not relevant to you, however, it does show that the dog will settle down and become easier around children. Bailey's worst time for biting was when he was over excited or tired - he was horrid then!

Just stay consistent with the pup, they do learn and it does get easier when their adult teeth come in.

6. Mom2girls1974

Thanks all, lots of helpful ideas :)