I think Alfie may replace our vacuum cleaner...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LoraChu, Jan 28, 2015.

1. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

Alfie is just eating everything. Usually he will drop things for us after a few chews, but I'm beginning to worry a little. One of the things he will just not come to me still holding is stones! And they are the one thing I really do not want him eating. We're trying our best to keep them away from him, but every now and then he finds one and just runs off with it. Everything else he seems to be willing to 'let me see' in return for praise, but small pebbles are apparently delicious.

I have had a read over a few threads now and I am going to try getting him to exchange them with me for treats to see if I can encourage him to start 'retrieving' stones rather than eating them. I'm just really rather worried it is going to hurt him in the end. Augh. He is so cute but he does love to worry me at times!

Any other advice or suggestions would be very,very greatly appreciated! I've purchased the Happy Puppy Handbook and am having a read, but I thought popping up a post couldn't hurt either!

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Re: I think Alfie may replace our vacuum cleaner...

On the positive side, our kitchen floor has never been as clean as it is now that Pongo lives with us. His mission is to keep it spotless, no matter how untidy we are when cooking. Good boy. ;)

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

You could put a light line on his collar so you've always got something to grab. My spaniel is a horror for stones too and our garden is absolutely full of them. He will swap them for a treat if I'm quick enough so I'm falling back on this as bribery but beware the rapid swallow in order to eat the stone AND the treat. We're working really, really hard on our delivery of illicit objects too so you have my utmost sympathy!

4. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

My Bella is fascinated by the gravel in our driveway too....or course the fact that it's trompled by DUCKS makes it especially interesting....I think she picks up the little rocks and sucks the poo off :eek:... Living on a farm we have lots of opportunities for things to go in her mouth. From the very first day we started with a "leave it" command...and grabbing her quickly to sweep out her mouth of whatever disgusting tidbit she has managed to pick up. Pairing the leave it...with the mouth sweep out...has been pretty easy, and usually she will spit out whatever it is she has in her mouth. I don't routinely give her a treat in these situations, since I don't want her to expect the treat....in case I don't have one when it's something I desperately want her to not eat.

She is now 20 weeks and I can open her mouth at any time and remove even the most delectable meaty bone from her, or get the rock or feather or wood chip from her without fear of her chomping on my hand...and usually with the leave it command she spits out whatever she has. It works for us...but yeah...she is a good hoover in the kitchen! ;D ;D ;D

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I find it quite disconcerting when I have to clear up after my toddler has dropped food because we've gone somewhere without the dogs ???

6. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

Associating a treat with "leave it" seems to be working well for me for now! He is starting to drop things before the treat is shown, and I suppose I will just have to make sure I have some on me! A slightly tricky association at the moment is better for me than just risking him eating things.

It is a tricky challenge to beat, but it's worth working on! He's doing very well, but hey, you've gotta be careful not to start expecting miracles, right??