I thought 8 weeks was hard ...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

8-9 weeks was a BREEZE compared to 11-12 weeks. I am absolutely exhausted this week. I love this dog to death, but I'm not sure I can do the puppy thing again any time soon.

Struggles: biting, chewing, jumping, walking on a leash, scared of other dogs, takes a very long time to use the restroom, quite a bit more whining/barking, and just overall stubbornness.

The good stuff: She is doing amazing with training (sit, stay, lay down, shake, wave, spin, jump), she only gets up once a night, slowly starting to go to the door when needing to go out (though there are still accidents here and there), and she does well around strangers.

I know it will all pay off .... I just pray I can keep my sanity before then!

Here's the girl (Rue:(
    [​IMG]

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: I thought 8 weeks was hard ...

A warm welcome from me Helen, Hattie 7 years and my rescue boy Charlie 3 years. Rue is beautiful, hang on in there it will get better and she is just so beautiful :) xx

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello! Welcome!

4. ladyrattlesUK

ladyrattlesUK Registered Users

Rue is adorable!!

I'm now at the four-five month stage and I can honestly say it gets easier each week (even with Ash eating a sock & scaring the life out of me). This forum is brilliant and everyone has helped me get through so many hurdles, so I'm sure you will find lots of help like I have.

Carnie x

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Now, I can't believe that that sweet puppy would do all those naughty things ;D

Welcome to the forum!

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Welcome.
    Its an uphill struggle, but great when you get to do the free-wheeling from the top :)
    Stick in there.
    What an interesting name....Rue....Hunger Games or another reason?
    I used to live in Rhu - on the west coast of Scotland. It a pretty and delicate name I feel - hope she lives up to it.

jac and Lilly (4 year old black girl)

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

She has a lovely, naughty expression :) Welcome and treasure these exhausting days, as they grow up so quickly and you will forget how tiny and scrumptious they were.

8. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

hi welcome from me and my jasper 20 month old, i have got to agree with you puppies are very hard work i did think of sending jasper back to the breeder up to being 7/8 month old, stick in there, he is the best thing that as ever happened to me, a new lease of life :) keep training it will all pay off :) she is beautiful

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi there and welcome!

Hang in there, you will get through it. :)

I do understand your pain. I have had three dogs in my life, the first two I raised from puppyhood, and after the second I swore I would never do the puppy stage again. But time went by and when he died at 16 yrs I was contemplating another dog (puppy ::)) but the good Lord intervened and we ended up with a one year old rescue, our present dog, Simba, our LabX who is now 2.

Taking on a rescue has presented it's own challenges to be sure, but still, easier in many ways than the puppy stages. :D

10. dosh

dosh Registered Users

hi and welcome,
    meg is now 5months and 3wks old and i thought i had lost my sanity ::) puppys are very hard work,but as the weeks go on and you see them growing up and losing there puppy look,you no you can do it,there will be blips along the way,but as the rest say hang in there,
    she is very cute and that cute wee face would melt any heart ;D

11. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I experienced the same feelings as you are right now. I thought Labradors were quiet, gentle dogs. This was NOT what i had signed up for ;)

I just kept telling myself "keep your eyes on the prize". The prize being a quiet, calm, amiable companion.

12. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Welcome to the forum!

I know it feels like an endless slog sometimes but you will get there! Enjoy the puppy days and take lots of adorable photos as they are over far too quickly. And trust me, you will want another puppy soon enough - you forget what little horrors they can be sometimes! My girl is 19months now and we definitely had some struggles when she was little, but I'm so broody for another pup now!

13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome - she's lovely!

Yes - they are craaaazy crocodiles - but don't we just adore them!

You'll find your second so much easier - the first keeps them busy and teaches them how to play gently ;D ;D

14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Rue is a little cutie. :) Yes, puppies are hard work - I know I also felt exhausted and fed up, from reading things I wrote at that time, but it's becoming hard to remember. I gave Molly the title of 'the last puppy' - but now, well we'll see...
    Things will get better for you too. I'm sure you'll find Rue much easier when you can start to take her out and about.

15. Steph

Steph Registered Users

It gets better, honestly. I have a 5 month old puppy who was almost packed off back to her breeder around 10 weeks. Holly is our first puppy and the difference between a house bound stir crazy puppy and one who can get out and about everyday for walks and runs is incredible. Now at 9pm after her evening walk she's all settled down for a good snooze in preparation for her 8 hour sleep at 11pm through to 7. The butter wouldn't melt look at 3 months is probably why so many of them get their humans past that stage!

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Rue is divine,welcome to the forum x
    We have a yellow boy called Dexter who is nearly 2. We live in Dubai so we couldn't import him until he was 4 months and he was actually 5 months when he arrived so I missed the really small puppy stage.id have struggled I know as he is our first dog but I do really wish we'd had that time with him.....I understand from a lot of the other members that this time does pass so ha of on in there and enjoy your adorable puppy x

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome :)
    Rue is adorable :) such a cheeky look to her ;) the puppy stage will fly by. Harley is just over 1 year and it really doesn't seem that long since we brought her home. They are sooooooo worth it :)

18. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Thanks for the replies, all! Glad to know I'm not alone in this. Your posts were very encouraging. Keep on keeping on!