ID Tag Information

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by charlie, Aug 24, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Can anyone tell me exactly what information should be engraved on a dog tag? Hattie's is fading fast but it is 6 years old so need to get a new one. I have read several articles varying from don't put the dogs name on, just telephone details, no address. Any ideas? Thanks Helen x

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: ID Tag Information

Hi Helen, no not the dogs name, too easy for someone to call them away from you .
    I have our phone number , post code on one side, and village name and the word Chipped, on the other x

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Funny you should mention that, as I was thinking of getting a new one - the previous ones we had were not well engraved.
    Just popped on the Kennel Club site and they say.....
    The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that 'any dog in a public place must wear the name and address of the owner either inscribed on the collar or a name plate or disc attached to it'. Your telephone number is optional, but the Kennel Club strongly advises that you include this on the identification collar/disc.

Our existing tag has our SURNAME in caps, also both mine and OH's mobile phone numbers. I was kind of aware of the law on address but I don't want to put this on it. A compromise is perhaps our postode. I am undecided. Lilly aslo has the "I am microchipped" tag and the two together make a nice jingling sound so I know where she may be when I can't see her in the woods. Otherwise I would have that engraved on the back of the disc too.

I am interested on others opinions on the address. Its a dilemma for me.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

When I got them done before I also got a set done with my sister-in-law's name and phone number for holidays :)

5. kateincornwall

I didnt want the full address either Jac which is why we went for the village name and our post code x

6. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

We have everything on there! Our surname, full address, mobile and home numbers. Anything that will get my dogs home to me quicker if the unthinkable ever happens. Can I ask why the caution in putting full address info on?

7. kateincornwall

This might sound a bit paranoid TM but we have had a lot of dog thefts down here . So, my worry is that if someone was stroking Sam whilst chatting to me, they could see my address and make it easier to steal him. Oh now that I`ve written that, it sounds ridiculous ::)

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

It doesn't Kate,my parents said the same when they got to Dubai and saw the whole essay that was on Dexters tags.......it's a horrible worry to think there are people out there with sinister motives ..... But it seems there are :(

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

thank you kate, thats me going for a new tag tuesday :)

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

My reasons are rather paranoid too.
    Swipe my dog then whilst I'm out still frantically looking for her, empty my house too :(
    Told you...bit paranoid :-\

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have dog's name, our address and both our mobile numbers, plus Obi wears a government registration tag (and he is microchipped which is the law here). As much info as possible is my motto for dog tags.

People would have to break into our house to steal Obi so I'm not too worried about theft. They wouldn't need to know his name to steal him anyway - a bit of cheese would do it!

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

In agreement Rachael......Dex would be saying Angela who? If someone tempted him away with food.....I'm teasing but the topic isn't funny at all x

13. Alice

Alice Registered Users

We have included dog's name as well as address and phone numbers. Not so worried about theft around here but it has made me think. Here in Northumberland the county runs a scheme where they provide a numbered tag so if a dog is picked up by the dog warden they can reunite with owner straight away.
    Last week there was a lost black lab in our street. A neighbour called it over and after a few minutes called the police who alerted the dog warden. It was chipped but the owners had not updated their details. Luckily the anxious owners turned up after a few minutes; it turned out that the dog had managed to open the gate for the first time! A reminder to update details before the dog goes missing.
    Alice