Ideal age to start outdoor obedience course?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by 20180815, Apr 19, 2017.

1. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I've been thinking about doing some more training classes with my lab, who's currently just over 9 months (we've only done the KC puppy course). I'd like to do it when he'll have a good amount of focus, as I'm a bit worried about his attention span in a very distracting environment (he's very much in his teenager phase). I'd like to choose the best time as I would need to devote a good deal of money and time on this (not that he isn't worth all the time and money in the world, but finances are a bit tight right now, and I would need to travel 50 mins each way to get to the nearest class). I realise every dog is different but I guess a general idea?

The course description is this:

"Our Outdoor Obedience class is ideal for those who just want a regular training class to keep their dog engaged and happy. This mixed-ability class focuses on developing skills such as loose-lead walking, recalls, simple retrieves and sends, impulse control (like leave-it!), and waits and stays.

This class runs in our outdoor venue – whatever the weather! – and is particularly good for dogs who need to work on their impulse control, focus, and motivation in all environments."

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sounds like a great class, I wish there was something like that near enough for me. As long as the trainers use positive only training methods I would go for it. Could you ask before you sign up as you don't want any nasty surprises?

3. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Hi @charlie This is what they have to say about themselves:

"Classes have limited spaces to ensure every dog and handler has the time and space they need to work effectively, and each class has a two instructors present at all times. We use force-free reward-based training which is motivational for dogs and owners, and results in happy, confident pets who have positive relationships with their owners. The safety and welfare of your dog is always our priority, and we abide by both the British Institute of Professional Dog Trainers Code of Conduct and the Kennel Club Accredited Instructor Scheme Code of Practice for Instructors. As we have Listed Status for Canine Good Citizen Dog Scheme classes, we are also bound by their Code of Conduct.

We believe that education in dog training never stops, especially as more research is done into canine behaviour and training. As a result, we are constantly updating our own knowledge to ensure we can give you the best training, information, and support possible."

Sounds pretty good?

Naya and charlie like this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sounds good to me :) Have you signed up? Where abouts do you live?

5. pup-pup

pup-pup Registered Users

The course sounds wonderful. I wish we had something like that around here. It depends on your dog. My other labs would have been fine at 9 months, but my current lab was way too excited to get much from classes at the same age. She took puppy classes and beginning obedience and I found it frustrating and exhausting. She was so excited and just wanted to play and visit. She was easy to train at home. Now, she is two and can easily handle group classes and focuses well on me. Classes are so much easier and fun for both of us.

6. 20180815

20180815 Guest

No not yet @charlie, and I'm in Yorkshire :)

charlie likes this.
  7. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Yes that's pretty much what I'm thinking about...how will he handle it? I don't really know for sure, other than to say that other dogs are VERY INTERESTING to him, so I'm a bit dubious and I don't want it to be frustrating and exhausting. We're also still working on some of the basics like walking nicely on lead (as I only just recently switched to a proper back fastening harness rather than a no-pull harness). I notice month by month his attention and ability to focus is improving, but I really would like him to be able to focus on me without it being a huge struggle. I just don't want to be the one with the huge lunging horse-Lab while everyone else's dogs are calm and well behaved :confused:

selina27 and charlie like this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I think I've gotta move to the North :)

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You ask the trainers if you could go along with Beau to observe at a distance with some good treats, walking round just to see how he gets on. Don't forget everyone arrives with a lunging horse-lab to begin with. I remember taking our rescue dog Charlie to "obedience" classes, I was a little late, everyone was there with the dogs all sitting beautifully, in we burst through the doors, me on the end of the lead Charlie dragging me through the doors looking like I had run 10 miles, everyone looking at me but they laughed and it broke the ice :eek:
    :D

Plum's mum and selina27 like this.
  10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

It sounds like a really good course. I took Harley to adolescent classes and we were the ones who were advised to take a break and have a short walk. I'm actually glad I stuck with the course even though it was challenging and tested my patience at times. I feel it really helped in that difficult phase and really helped shape her in greeting other dogs as well as ignoring other dogs around us. This again has helped us now as on walks she will ignore most dogs. I personally would go if I had another pup in the future.

selina27 likes this.
  11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think it sounds a good course and if Beau is easily distracted by other dogs, I would think this is an ideal opportunity to work on getting his attention around other dogs in a controlled situation.
    When Molly was about 9 months old we were really struggling with classes in a scout hut so stopped those and did gundog training for about 6 months. She picked up some of the very simplest gundog skills, but more to the point, her general obedience improved no end, perhaps just because we were doing something interesting outside together. Outside there is just more space to move away and settle your dog without disturbing other people. The following year we were able to return to the scout hut and coped with the confined conditions.
    I wouldn't worry about not being advanced enough. It sounds like a beginners' course so the trainers should be able to help you teach your dog to focus on you.

12. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

My pup was 5 months when we did a day's gundog training workshop which covered the same areas you mention, more or less.

Like you, I was nervous about how she would behave as she had been very excitable in previous puppy classes. I spoke to the trainer first who was reassuring about my concerns.

My pup was a complete star and I was so proud of her. I feared she might be unruly and excitable but she really seemed to relish the experience and rose to the challenges. I thought it might take her a while to settle and focus but she took to it straight away. When I mentioned my surprise to the trainer she thought it was because there was a lot more space for the dogs (we were in a large field enclosed within another field with bags of space to go off and practice) and the dogs weren't too near each other. Puppy classes had been in a smaller, more confined church hall.

I know my pup wasn't in teenager mode then so I don't know what difference that could have made but I certainly had my reservations. However, both of us absolutely loved the experience and it really strengthened our bond. I also felt so much of what we had learned at previous classes came together on that day.

I say, go for it! And enjoy :).

selina27 likes this.
  13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

That sound like the perfect course to help deal with his distraction. I'd definitely go for it, I think you'll both enjoy it.

14. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I'm glad it sounds good, looks like I should go for it :)

15. Debs

Debs Registered Users

@SilverFalcon , all Maisie's training has been outdoor training (except for the KC courses we did last year) and nothing beats it, I say go for it! :)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It really depends on the pup. Betsy's first outing pretty much after her vaccinations was to a Gundog week! She was a pretty calm puppy but I also think this early exposure (where we worked on being calm not playing with other dogs) was a massive boost forward and I never really had many problems with her in group classes at all.

Charlie was pretty much a nightmare in puppy classes from 8 weeks though. He was a super excitable pup, and was even worse as a teenager! Took him forever to settle down in group classes.

17. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I take Xena to group classes every week and you know what? It's not relaxing, and often very frustrating. BUT I feel that working with her in a group environment and practicing focus on me is invaluable. You know what they say - expect the worst, hope for the best.