im new! advice re food, leads, collars etc!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Jul 8, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

hi everyone, im new to the page so forgive me if i do anything wrong! We just got our 8 month black lab yesterday and he didnt come with much. Im feeding him spillers trial and field as per his previous owner but would like to hear of decent but cheaper alternatives. He also only has a training lead no collar (yet) which type is best for a lab, webbing and clip, or traditional leather style? And finally wheres the best value place for dog items, im needing a training treat bag, training whistle, halti thing, collar and probably other stuff i dont even know i need yet!

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: im new! advice re food, leads, collars etc!

Hi there and welcome to the forum :).

Do you mean Skinners dog food? If your dog looks good and does well on this food then I wouldn't change it. It is VAT free as far as I know and not in he top price range of dog foods.

I use collars with plastic clips for all of my dogs. They don't wear them in the house or on private land or when working, but I do pop them on when they are travelling in the car for example. I need something that I can put on and take off quickly hence the collars with plastic clips.

As for all the other gear I shop around and compare prices. There are a couple of companies I prefer simply because of the type of training dummies and leads they offer. I don't use a bag for the dummies but a training vest which is a lot easier and more comfortable to carry and it also doesn't tend to whack the dog over the head every time I bend down. :)

Tell as a bit more about your new friend. :)

3. blackjack

lol oops yes spillers i keep getting it wrong, Jack is a 8 month old black lab, which we got yesterday! big learning curve this end i can tell you! hes doing well on the food so hoping to get a big sack when it runs out, he pulls a lot on the lead which isnt great when also trying to hold a 3yr olds hand too!

we are hoping to take him to puppy school as i want to feel more confident when out walking with him, hes fab but im concerned about other dogs!

hes calm in the house and dont bother the kids, not so true of the cat :)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I use a flat collar with a plastic clip too. I use a collar made of a woven cotton/nylon material. It dries fast (my dog likes getting into water) and can be thrown in the washing machine. I walk my dog on a harness made of the same material. Some people find that a harness is good if their dog is prone to pulling. My current dog had learned to pull like a train in a collar before I got him and switching to a harness short-circuited that (because he did not associate it with pulling).

I use a lead that is made of abseiling rope. It's very thick and comfortable to hold and won't give me a rope burn if Obi decides to launch himself at some passing attraction :)

And - welcome to the forums!!! :D Hope you enjoy being here and talking about Labradors!!

5. blackjack

brilliant thank you for your advice, looks like some collar shopping to be done! im sure ill be on here often as ive much to learn! this is our first family dog, although have grown up with dogs its not really the same! so far jacks been very good as hes grown up with kids and has had some training, we just need to build on that. Got to leave him on his own for about 1 hour and a bit later and a tad worried hes not going to like it! but i guess its best to get it over with as im not going to be home 100% of the time as have school runs etc to do.

6. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What is Jack's background? Did he come from another family home or a gundog kennel?

7. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Skinners is stocked quite a few places online. Usually free delivery too, which is good. Our lab 20 years ago was fed on that, and it was a good food. I'd stick with it if he seems okay on it. It'll be cheaper to buy in larger quantities.

Of course pics of Jack when you have a mo please!! :)

8. blackjack

jack was bought from a breeder at 8 weeks to be trained as a gundog, his previous owners curcumstances changed and he wasnt used as a gun dog, they then didnt have time to spend with him so put him for re-homing, and we did just that. pics when i can figure it out!

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me too . I feed my two on Skinners salmon and rice and yes, its VAT free , am pleased with the results . We got a rope type collar for Sam with a flat leather pice where it fastens, but I dont bother with the fastener, it just slips over his head when I take him out , also use a same material slip lead for him when needed . Look forward to pics :)

10. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

if he is doing well with the food stick with it,......may get tummy upset if you change,.....after a lot of trial and error with leads and collars, i now use a lupi recommended by my vet,......its a type of harness , rope material :)...... walking beautifully with the lupi, :)

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Welcome from me and Poppy, you'll find lots of great advice on this friendly forum :)

12. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Welcome from Otis, just eleven weeks, and me Maggie his mum x

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

We've not said hi yet.....Angela with yellow lab Dexter nearly 10 months ,welcome,welcome.So glad Jack has come to a family that can look after him better x

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi from Lisa and Simba (10 month old chocolate lab/Newfie),

I live in Canada so can't give you advice on food and supplies, etc but I do give you a big welcome. We have had Simba for 2 months - he was heading for a shelter if we didn't take him. Previous owners did some training but not a lot and so we've had lots of issues to work on with him. But he's learning and we are seeing improvement so that is good.

Sounds like your boy has had a good start, which is great! This is a great place to ask questions and get solid advice, so don't be afraid to ask.

My guy wears a nylon collar and we use both a leash (flat nylon-the leash he came with), and a vest-type harness that we bought him.

Post a pic of your guy, we'd love to see him!!

15. David

David Registered Users

Hello from me too. 3 year old black Lab, Lady here. We use Burns Alert. Also VAT free. I shouldn't think that brand matters much as long as it's a reasonable quality balanced food.

Nylon collar with plastic clip here too. Like Heidrun I don't use it when she's on private land or working, but I clip it on my belt in case we go on a public road.

Lead is a simple soft slip lead with a stop ring so it won't tighten on her neck.