In preperation!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Charlie_2013, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Charlie_2013

Charlie_2013 Registered Users

Morning all,

Charlie is due to be collected towards the end of August, he's growing at a rapid rate of knots now!! I haven't brought anything yet but i have set up a list of things to buy!!

I've been looking at dog cages & wondered what the best way forward is! Would it be better buying a large cage with a divider or did you guys buy a smaller one to start with & change it when your puppy was out growing it? Your comments would be appreciated ;)

Cheers

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: In preperation!!

Can't help with the crate as we borrowed a small one and then bought a large one when Riley outgrew the first one. It's definitely good to keep the space small to start with to help with toilet training.

One thing I did want to suggest though, Riley came to us with a bit of towel that had been left in the puppies sleeping area for a while before all the pups left for their new homes. If your breeder doesn't do this you might want to give them something(old towel or t-shirt) that they can make smelly so that Charlie has some familiar smells in his new little home. Vet bed is also good to go in the crate as it's soft but washes very easily in case of accidents.

3. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

I bought the large crate that Pippa recommends in the crate training article on the main site. (I don't know how to put a link!). We then made a divider ourselves to make it smaller to start with. I thought it was just easier to have one from the start rather then worry about having to get another one. :)

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Cannot offer real advice re crates as we havent ever used one for Sam, but common sense is telling me that it might be best to buy larger and use a divider .
    Can imagine how excited you are getting as the time draws nearer :)

5. Charlie_2013

Thanks all,

I will try & find the article

The Blanket/t shirt is a cracking idea thanks for that

& yes i am getting so, so excited. to the point the family want to chuck me in the shed until he arrives 'cos that's all i'm talking about ;D ;D ;D

Still if they won't listen then i know you guys will....won't you?? ;)

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i had a large one, only used it up to him being 4 month old, :)
    oh its so exciting, ...when you get him he will be all you talk about :)
    when do you get him ?

7. Charlie_2013

Thanks Lynne, Chrlie is due to be collected on the 29th August.

My camping stuff is ready to go...you will find me outside the breeders house from the 28th!!! ;D

8. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

we was like that think the breeder was sick of us :)
    we was even ringing asking about him :)
    it will soon pass, just not soon enough :)

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, large crate here but no divider as Hattie was 13 weeks when we got her and she was already a big hairy beast ;D

So exciting your getting your Charlie boy soon. Yes of course we will listen ;) Helen x

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Will we listen to your excitement at the arrival of a new puppy? You bet! I can remember the shopping list, setting out his bed, bowls and newspapers - rearranged them a few times! I just ran out of things to do! Luckily, THE day comes eventually.

I don't use a crate, I have a study metal pen which I can make bigger or smaller with panels. It's been really handy and now forms a gated area to his room (although today a couple of panels are fencing off a plant he won't stop eating!). I had a travel crate for the car until he grew out of it, now he has a seatbelt harness.

So excited for you!

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Dave come on here to,talk about Charlie ANY time you want.... ;D

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oo just noticed your chaz and dave profile pic - cool!

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Large crate for us too. Lilly was almost 12 weeks so didn't need a divider.
    Only stopped using it 6 months ago though - she loved her crate ♥

Jac

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I just noticed your profile pic too :)

I'd get the large crate and divide it.

It's nearly August, so not long to go now!!

15. Charlie_2013

Good Morning & once again thanks for your comments.

Of course it it now AUGUST ;D this is going to be a long month ::)

I did my first purchase yesterday...i've ordered the total recall book which i am looking forward to reading.
    The crate will be on order next week along with a few more goodies. I've actually decided to bring my old dog bowls out & use them
    just a little gesture in memory of my Jazz!!.......how excited am i!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

16. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Charlie_2013 link=topic=2166.msg19748#msg19748 date=1375344859]
    .......how excited am i!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

uuummmm not much? ;)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

28 sleeps to puppy?

Wow....that's a lot when you are waiting for a puppy.

Have you got a good puppy book? Total recall is fab, but you need a puppy book too - unless you can remember it all from your last one, of course.

18. Charlie_2013

I haven't Julie,

Can you recommend one please?

28 days will seem like a year, especially when the breeder has just posted that the puppies are 4 weeks old with a picture!! It's murder ;D

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: In preperation!

I think Pippa might be writing one, so you could check when it might be out? No doubt it would go very well with total recall.

I read Ian Dunbar' before and after getting your puppy, which I thought was pretty good at least up to lead walking, where his ideas got a bit strange, but spot on for toilet training and the early days. It's very structured, advising you to keep records, do homework, and count how many hours your puppy does what. This suited me, and I kept enough records to create a regression model of the most likely times in the day Charlie would need to poop! (Hmm...might have gone a bit far on the obsessive new puppy owner scale there... :D)

I'm now reading Gwendoline Bailey's a perfect puppy, but I've just skimmed the first 12 chapters as I want the teenage puppy stuff now, there isn't much in the book about the teenage years though. The early months seem pretty much the same as Ian Dunbar's advice. It's an easier read, the advice is more relaxed both in style and substance (bullet point reminders, but no check lists or forms to fill in).

So Ian Dunbar tells you to call in a professional if you (you stupid new owner, because it's your fault not the pup's) allow more than 2 accidents in the house, Gwen says well, a few accidents are to be expected but best avoided of course.

20. Charlie_2013

Thanks Julie I will have a look at both. I think a nice easy read will suit & the idea of keeping a record is
    a great idea. Once Charlie is home I'm going to set up a little blog/journal on line. This will give me something to do when he has me up in the night ::)

Thanks again

Dave