Inappropriate adverts

Discussion in 'Life With A Lab' started by Joy, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

i was really shocked just now to have an ad come up for 'women who are easy lays, who always say yes.'

I'm quite happy to have ads on the site in exchange for not paying the annual fee, but this one was beyond the pale!

Do you (admin) have any control over the ads? (I've got rid of it now and said i didn't want to see it.)

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Good grief ! That's not on is it ? I usually see ads for fatty liver , cant say as I`ve seen anything inappropriate yet though x

3. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

I've installed AdBlocker...works a treat!

Blaises mom and kateincornwall like this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I've got that on the PC. Can I put it on my iPad (which is what I use mostly)?

5. 20180815

20180815 Guest

I think the long term solution is not adblocker, as the site needs revenue, but rather, get rid of these inappropriate ads...is it possible to find an ad provider that only offers "family friendly" ads?

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Have never seen anything yet which was inappropriate, guess the moderators will be on it fast and get rid of it.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

We're discussing it. As mentioned, the forum needs a small amount of income to run, and so installing an ad blocker isn't supporting the community. But, we also don't want inappropriate adverts that can upset our members. We will try to resolve this as soon as possible.

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Thank you. It's the only nasty ad I've ever had come up, so I hope it was just bad luck.

9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

We can choose the categories of ads to allow on the site. I have just been through our ad settings. As I thought, the setting to block all ads referring to sex and sexuality are enabled. As are the settings to block all ads referring to sexual and reproductive health. I am sorry to hear that the blocking system may have been by-passed on this occasion and I will contact the ad companies to let them know. Please do contact me if you see anything else of a sexual or risqué nature

bbrown, SwampDonkey and Joy like this.
  10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Sad to say I don't even notice the adverts! Even on TV!

11. Cath

Cath Registered Users

No, I haven't seen anything either

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hmm....I don't get ads so I don't know.
    I think a lot of them are search sensitive.
    I was looking for an image for a group I was sharing information about and got a warning about adult content if I continued....unexpectedly as I didn't see the link at all.
    And OMG it wasn't half adult content!!! Urgh!
    Since then I have had a plethora of these dodgy spam emails and a subtle change in side bar ads on FB.
    Just going to have to saturate it with cute puppy photos......

ohthatcat likes this.
  13. Joy

Joy Registered Users

On reflection I suspect I got that ad because I had 'liked' a fb post campaigning for gay marriage in Australia (in support of a gay relative). But if that's the case it's really insulting to link that to the sort of thing the ad was offering.
    Anyway, I've not had any more inappropriate ads since, so probably time to draw a line under it.

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hope you don't get any more Joy.

15. ohthatcat

ohthatcat Registered Users

Hi all,

Coming from the industry it's a strong chance they're cookie-based ads, based on your previous browser history. It's called "retargeting" and it can be difficult for webmasters to block, as that would potentially filter out legit ads and decrease revenue.

You don't even have to have visited anything nefarious - unless someone else uses your computer? ;)

Hope this helps!

Sunny

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I remember searching for something innocent for dog training...I think it was the was the whipit stick? I had some very strange ads coming up after that, very odd...

Cath, UncleBob and ohthatcat like this.
  17. ohthatcat

ohthatcat Registered Users

That'll do it You'd be shocked at what keywords people use for targeting. They pay out the wazoo for it, too. Seems like they went a little overboard, though.:p

-Sunny