Indie passed Bronze and Silver :)

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Lara, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Lara

Lara Registered Users

I am very proud of my little pig! We did the KCGC tests yesterday at our training class. I was horrendously nervous about Silver as it involves getting in the car, and indie absolutely hates the car to the point that I have to carry her from the house if she gets an inkling that we have to go in it. This is after a year of treats in the car, dinners in the car, short journeys building it up etc. So a few weeks ago I decided we needed a new approach and started training jumping into the back seat and being attached to a car harness. My neighbours thought I was mad as they saw me hanging around in the car park at all hours jumping Indie in and out and waving sardines about. It was a long process, and if I put a foot wrong that reminded her of her previous terror (like approaching the car from the back instead of side, having my handbag with me or OH) we were set back again and she would refuse to get in. But it finally paid off, and when the examiner asked me to get Indie in, to my huge relief she leapt in expecting chicken! And she was fine when the examiner got in and we turned the engine on. Phew!

She also tested my nerve with her 2-minute stay as she started manically sniffing the air one minute in and I almost died of stress but she stayed put :) I was so concerned about keeping indie cool and hydrated (we were there six hours) that I forgot to drink myself and had borderline heatstroke by the time we got home. So I celebrated our success with my head over the toilet bowl with a cold wet towel over me feeling like death, but was v proud all the same!

A year ago when we adopted her my little pup was a biting scratching devil dog who reduced me to tears daily so I am immensely pleased with the sweet piglet she has turned into.

Just glad the examiner wasn't looking when, at the end of the 'recall from distractions' test when we were back in our seats, Indie decided it was a good time to start humping my rucksack! :eek:

Sven, UncleBob, QuinnM15 and 6 others like this.
  2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Congratulations! Very well done!

Lara likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

This has just made me snigger. Well done Indie and well done you.

Lara likes this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well done little Piglet!

Lara likes this.
  5. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Well done, Indie! You go girl!! :monkey:

Lara likes this.
  6. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Fantastic!!!! Well done! :happyfeet:

Noooooooooooooo... This is the worst! Or when they start to lean forward in the sit stay and your mind is going "don't drop don't drop don't drop!"

Lara likes this.
  7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Congratulations!!! A very well deserved result :)

Those stays are the longest minutes of your life, are they not?

Lara likes this.
  8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Oh yes, I know that feeling! Molly's down stay is rock solid but in a sit, after a minute the front legs start to slide forwards!
    Fortunately in the KCGC you can choose the position in bronze and silver, and in gold it has to be a down ( which is a bit odd as nearly all dogs seem to find down stay easier.)

Lara likes this.
  9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Our lowest trial (CCD - community companion dog) has both sit stay and down stay but they're quite short. 1min sit stay and 3min down stay. I think the hardest part is being set up so close to all of the other dogs in the ring.

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh well done! You must be sooo proud!!

Lara likes this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done - neither is easy to achieve.

[​IMG]

Lara likes this.
  12. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Well done to you, such big achievement. So good that you are reaping the rewards of your hard work.

Lara likes this.
  13. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Congratulations to both:cancan::doug:

Lara likes this.
  14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's amazing, very well done to you and Indie :star: I hope you are feeling OK after the heatstroke, nasty :( xx

Lara likes this.
  15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Huge congratulations to you both :clap:. Indie is a star :star:

Lara likes this.
  16. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Well, there is nothing specific in the kennel club rules about humping rucksacks being prohibited...
    :cwl:

Beanwood and snowbunny like this.
  17. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Gosh 3 mins is a long time! Even our gold award is only two minutes I think, but 30 seconds of that is with the handler out of sight. During the bronze stay, the massive adolescent lab next to indie got up after about 30 seconds then proceeded to roll about on the ground attacking his lead o_O I thought we were done for but Indie just watched disdainfully :)

SwampDonkey and snowbunny like this.
  18. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Thanks! Yes I felt dreadful! I lay very still trying not to be sick for a few hours, then suddenly recovered enough to eat an ice cream (for medicinal purposes, of course) and felt better. Indie was knackered, but then had obviously used up all her good behaviour for the year and yesterday regressed into a Very Naughty Piglet. The highlight was her eating our instruction leaflet for the worktop jig that my dad is using to replace our kitchen worktops, and then stealing one of his boots o_O I think he is regretting coming to help us...

snowbunny likes this.
  19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

There must have been something in the air yesterday. Squidge ate one of my new trail running shoes, having taken it from a shelf I didn't think she could reach...
    :|

20. Lara

Lara Registered Users

Oh dear! On the upside, it is an incentive to be tidy! Nothing on the floor in our house...because Indie 'tidies' it for us...:rolleyes: