Inside bad behaviour

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Keelyj94, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Keelyj94

Keelyj94 Registered Users

Hi everyone!

My names Keely and I have a 10 month old choc lab called Milo. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me but he does like to frustrate me. We completed obedience classes and he is at times well behaved, as we have lapsed a little in continuous training. I'd like to have him inside with me more like watching tv, yet the minute we open the door and invite him in he goes bonkers. He finds anything he can grab and runs up and down the hall, won't listen to us, making out as if it's one big game. The only way to get him back outside is with food and still then he sometimes won't react. I've tried having him on the lead and doing obedience commands but he just attempts to drag me around the house and takes forever to calm down. He has been desexed but I'd just like him to settle abit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Keely and Milo

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Inside bad behaviour

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum!

Does your dog live outside normally? In a kennel? What's his routine in terms of time inside and outside?

There is an article here that might help, but it's in the context of a dog living in the house, and being invited into the living room:

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/how-to-stop-your-labrador-pestering-you/

If your dog doesn't get to come into the house much, you might need to do this in say one room, the kitchen, and so on.

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

He will settle down eventually.

I'm assuming milo is usually outdoors and only comes in the house when you are there ?

I do the same thing with my dogs. They are now three and while they still go a bit nuts inside every now and then in the main they are calm and 'normal' indoors.

Can you restrict his access to space indoors until he calms down a bit. Would it be possible to leave him in the hall ? For example when he's racing up and down you leave the hall. When he sounds like he's stopped go in. If he starts again go out again. He will learn he only gets your attention when he is calm.

The more time he spends indoors the less exciting it will be so if you can put up with it or preferably find away to get through to him the quicker he will learn.

You could try the opposite of what I originally suggested. Play with him in the hall try to focus his attention doing something with you or for you . Maybe if he has a favourite toy you hold it, show him, tell him sit, he gets toy.

Have you looked on the main website www.labradorsite.com there are lots of helpful articles about boisterous puppy behaviour, which is normal by the way. :)

Good luck he will calm down its just too exciting at the moment. ::)

PS Julie has just beaten me to it sorry if I've repeated stuff ;D

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Just been thinking do you let milo straight indoors from his pen/kennel outside ?

I have always walked my dogs, even if it's only a short walk, when I get them out of their pen before I let them indoors. If only to let them wee before going in.

Have you tried tiring him out before letting him in the house. He will still probably go nuts to begin with but might calm down quicker if already tired. ???

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there Keely welcome to the Forum from Dexter and I ,our 2 year old yellow boy
    Angela x

6. npcarpenter

npcarpenter Registered Users

Hi Keely,

Sounds like you have a typical Lab! My uncle had his Lab only as a hunting dog and never let him inside much at all. He displayed the same nutso behaviors, but he was never taught how to behave otherwise. My dogs spend their days outside but come in to be house dogs as soon as I get home. I do walk them around the yard to take the excitement edge off, then they come inside to eat. I do training sessions both inside and outside, and I make sure they all get a good off-leash run. I did have to restrain my now-4 month old puppy sometimes when she got overly excited in the evening, but the crate worked wonders with that problem and I seldom have to do it anymore. (I'm anticipating another phase of crazy dog when she hits that 7-10 month age!)

I think, as the others have said, that being in the house is still too new and exciting for your dog to handle it without very deliberate, structured help from you. Do you have a crate in the house? I also found success when my puppy was younger by having her on a lead in the house. If she'd get too excited, she'd go into her crate for a short time (3-5 mins), then we'd try outside the crate. Sometimes it takes repeated efforts to get through, celebrating small accomplishments. She's now doing very well. In fact, I took down the kitchen crate and only have one in the bedroom where we all sleep.

Don't give up but don't stop training, either. If you need to, sign up for another obedience class. Sometimes the structure of a regular class and professional help can make a huge difference.

7. Keelyj94

Keelyj94 Registered Users

Wow thanks everyone for your quick replies. Yes milo is primarily an outside dog, and as a child all our dogs were outside. When he invite him inside for around late afternoon into evening cause I've usually spent the day at work. We don't use a crate cause we don't have e room, I have a doggie blanket which I have been trying to train him to go on when we use the on lead tactic. Well definitely just close off more doors while on lead too. Thank you again for your help, hopefully he'll engage his brain soon ;D