Insurance

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Deano82, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

My KC insurance runs out in 2 weeks so i need to get a policy sorted soon.

Looking on go compare insurance starts as little as £4 per month which to me sounds too cheap to be true!

What are the best insurers? It really is a minefield out there with the different types of cover etc which always confuses me!

2. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Re: Insurance

The thing to look out for is whether or not the insurers offer 'lifetime cover'. If they don't (and this is the case with many of the cheaper ones) then if you make a big claim one year, they can refuse to renew your insurance the next year, and it can be difficult and/or expensive to get cover elsewhere at that stage.

It's also worth checking if your vet is linked to a particular company, as if so they sometimes have an arrangement where the vets claim directly from the insurer, and you only have to pay the excess at the vets (again, pretty useful if it's a big bill as you don't have to pay up front and then have the hassle of claiming back).

Hope this helps. Kath.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Exactly right. I am with Pet Plan with 2 dogs and I pay £420 per year for both of them and that is 'Lifetime cover' upto £7,000 vets bill per dog which covers any illness for the rest of the dogs life but you must renew yearly with them to keep this in place. The best I found, I haven't claimed but I hear they are no quibble and pay out. You can also get upto £12,000 vet cover too.

Having said that it's always worth shopping around but it is a minefield :eek: Happy shopping :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think a good tip is to have a good think about what you really want insurance to cover. If any significant bills would be a problem for you, then going for a low excess is sensible. For me, I was concerned about very big bills. So I went for a high excess to keep down the cost of the premiums, but for maximum lifetime cover.

This means I'm not covered for things like ear infections - which although the cost mounts up, it's below the large excess.

But I am covered for a very expensive cruciate ligament operation, and extensive after care, for life. And the same if he ever has a similar injury on his other leg.

When I took this policy, I seriously doubted that it was worth it. It's expensive in premiums. Of course, for me, it has turned out to have been very much worth it...

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Don't forgot your new insurance won't usually pay out for the first ten days or so (if you need them that is!) so you need to overlap the KC insurance with your new one. Fortunately I did that as my Lab broke his elbow at 16 weeks and as I had overlapped I was just in with my new insurance. Pet Plan is very good in my experience of 30 years.