inteligent

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Maggie68, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

So is Otis inteligent, how do you tell. When he was a younger pup, a friend said they had heard you put a towel right over the dog and if they shake it off, theyre clever, but some dogs will walk around all day with the towel on ! My miserable brother remarked at the weekend that he dosent do as he is told, so he isnt inteligent, and he has taken an age to toilet train, at eight months we are still working on it. Also he is a chocolate. By the way he shook the towel off immediately. He dosent wait for me to go out to counter surf he just does it in front of me, but then he can get away with it. He always sits for a treat, and recall isnt to bad. I could do more training with him, and I think his toilet training is up to me to get right. So maybe he is just a bit average ? I love him whatever of course, but I wonder how you can really tell ? Maggie X

2. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: inteligent

maggie otis is doing well, the top boy in the class is not always the cleverest :)
    keep training him and you will get otis to a good level, i only want my boy to behave well, never heard of the towel thing,
    your doing well maggie with your pet

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm quite sure Otis is an absolute sweetheart as for intelligence perhaps someone who's known more dogs than I will comment :)

For what it's worth I believe there's a difference between intelligent and obedient. Having one does not automatically mean you have the other. I also think there are other attributes dogs have such as honesty, loyalty, playfulness and a sense of joy that make up their personalities and make them interesting and lovely to have in our lives :D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The towel test is one of six tests described here: http://www.abc.net.au/animals/dog_test/

Charlie would fail it - because I've clicker trained him to stay still while we throw a towel over him (including his head) when we dry him after his bath. He also stays still on his wooden pallet to have his bath first. :)

He passed test one (find food under a tin) ::) and three (come towards you when you smile) with top marks - if Charlie doesn't have anything else to do, he'll come towards you if you sneeze. ::)

We also passed test 4 (find food under a towel) with top marks but we'd trained this to teach the cue "find it". Test 5 - use your paw to extract food from under a barrier - top marks, but what lab wouldn't manage that? Test 6 is silly when you've done total recall.

I think all these tests are silly. But they filled 30 mins on a rainy afternoon.

Are chocolates stupid? I don't think so. I think that they are over friendly, over confident, and full of fun. But as long as you can get their attention, I think they respond well to training.

They say chocolates don't have the problem solving and initiative of top field trial dogs. Maybe, that seems to me to be unlikely to be proven though, or at least I've never seen anything but a claim. Many black and yellows wouldn't either.

5. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

to be honest, maggie, done believe everything you read, it would drive you mental, ...otis is a baby working at his own speed,.....your doing very well, keep up the good work,...... :)

6. Maggie68

Thankyou Lynne for your support, you know how i worry about Oatsys housetraining, but he is a lot better. Yes theyres a lot more to labs than just inteligence, we must just appreciate, theyre all round loveliness. Maggie X

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3482.msg38317#msg38317 date=1385762240]
    For what it's worth I believe there's a difference between intelligent and obedient.
    [/quote]
    Completely agree :)

[quote author=lynnelogan link=topic=3482.msg38322#msg38322 date=1385764304]
    to be honest, maggie, done believe everything you read, it would drive you mental
    [/quote]
    Completely agree :) I'd add to that - don't believe everything your brother tells you. Your brother was just trying to make himself feel better by blaming Otis. ;)

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Maggie,I said it on the other post you wrote,take no notice of your Bro!xxxx
    Thanks for the test Lisa,when I get some spare time I'll have a go at it and report back....I don't know if Dex will come to me if I smile.....he doesn't always yawn when I do a big comic yawn and stretch to him and that's suppose to test their empathy with you.he does sneeze his head off every morning when I come down to him though and when I looked that up it said it's the doggie equivalent of laughing :D ;D ;D so I take that together with the massive body wags that he's pleased to see me!! X

9. Maggie68

Awww Dex, you lovely boy x