Introducing myself ...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lynda, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Lynda

Lynda Registered Users

Hello everybody....I'm a new member....my name is Monty and I live in Australia. I am a yellow lab ...well...actually I'm really more of an off- white colour according to my mum and dad. I'm almost four years old and I'm told that I'm a very good boy. I have mum typing this for me because I have trouble with the keyboard as you will imagine! When mum has more time, I'm planning to become a therapy dog. Mum has explained that we will go visit people in hospitals and nursing homes. I'll really like hat because I love getting out and about and meeting new people....better than staying home all day. My day consists of an early morning walk ...at about 5.30 am when Dad gets up. Then I just hang about the house until its time to go to see my friends at the dog park at about 4.00 pm. I've got heaps of friends at the park and so we always have a great time. Mum hears all the stories of things that some of my friends get up to and I often hear her telling their mums and dads about me being such a good boy. I don't dig holes....I don't chew furniture....I never steal anything and I always do as I'm told. I don't see the point in doing it differently because I'd only likely get into trouble anyway. I've got a lovely bed in mum and dad's bedroom and another by the front door. What more could a chap want in life. Nice to meet you all. :)

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Introducing myself ...

Hi Monty and Lynda, welcome to the forum :)

Pippa

3. Lynda

Lynda Registered Users

Thanks Pippa. Where in the world are you...UK?

Have you been a member for long? I imagine that we can learn lots of things from other lab owners. This forum is a fabulous idea. Monty is very excited about it ....and so am I! :)

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I'm in Hampshire, UK, but we have quite a few members from other parts. And yes, it is really nice having a group of friendly labrador owners to swap stories and advice with. :)

What kind of therapy work are you going to do with Monty? We have a P.A.T. dog on the forum. His name is Barney and this is his facebook page

Pippa

5. Lynda

Lynda Registered Users

Ah...Barney will be a darling I'm sure. Unfortunately I don't do Facebook (one part of technology that I've not kept up with) so can't view his site.

Monty is hoping to be a Delta dog. The Delta Association organises visits to hospitals and nursing homes ...that's all we have to do. We will be assigned a place to visit and then Monty will become 'friends' with the patients and therein lies the therapy apparently. I'm sure there will be equivalent organizations in the UK. Firstly, he has to pass the test to see if he is sufficiently calm when around people. They don't need dogs who are going to get upset by sudden loud noises and they need to be sure that the visiting dogs are obedient and that they don't steal food etc.

I realise now, Pippa, that you are an expert (visited your website via the link) and I see that you are published....wow!

I was born and bred in the north east of England ...I'm a Geordie. We've been here in Ausssie for 46 years! Love to visit the UK and do so every couple of years....much to Monty's dismay!

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Lynda and welcome :)

My parents are from the north east, Morpeth to be exact. It's a wonderful part of the UK!
    And just to add to the coincidence my in-laws black lab is called Monty. He is a bit troublesome but has a heart of gold.

Hope you enjoy all the lab chat here.

Barbara

7. Lynda

Lynda Registered Users

Hello Barbara :)

Wow...another Monty cousin ...on the other side ofthe world. Why is your in-law's Monty a bit troublesome ...still a puppy perhaps?

Know Morpeth well ...say 'hi' to your folks from a bonny lass from South Shields.

I'm looking forward to the chats here.

Lynda

8. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Hi Lynda

welcome to the forum and I see Pippa's already introduced you to Barney :)

Hello Monty, it was black lab Monty that first inspired me to get a lab and now look at the mess I'm in.

Carole

9. Lynda

Lynda Registered Users

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, we're all in trouble once we take on lab ownership! Monty changed our lives because he insists that we exercise! Does Barney like 'routine'? Can he tell the time?

Lynda

10. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Hi Lynda

Barney & Rusty can both tell the time. They know when it's 15 minutes to dinner time. This is when operation nudge Mum with our noses commences. If I'm not in the room at the time then I'll hear lots of messing about with a ball but at 1 minute past 4 Barney will notice I'm late and give one of his "I am here you know" soft woofs.

Carole

11. David

David Registered Users

Hi Lynda,

Welcome from me too. I Have a black Lab called Lady who I inherited when she was 6 months old. She was a major life changing experience! And she can tell the time as well, but she uses a special hard stare that is impossible to ignore!

12. Lynda

Lynda Registered Users

Wherever do they hide their timepieces! Giving a little woof is a bit cheeky Carole....bet you work to a tight schedule to ensure timeliness!! We just get the stare from Monty and it is, like David says, impossible to ignore. How long have you had Lady?

13. David

David Registered Users

She's just over 3 years old and is still a bit of a puppy.

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me, Bones (black 14 year old lab), and Poppy (8 months reddish/gold, when not muddy brown). Where are you in Australia? We live in Germany - how exciting that the site is becoming international! :D

15. Lynda

Lynda Registered Users

Hi Karen and thanks for the welcome. Monty says 'hi' to Bones and Poppy. We live in Brisbane which, as you probably know, is in Queensland.....a sub tropical climate. Bones is 14 ...wow! ...and Poppy is still a baby. I bet poppy has given Bones a new lease on life! Yes, wonderful that this site has international interest.