Introducing new puppy to our 3yr old Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Madge71, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Madge71

Madge71 Registered Users

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum so apologies if I am posting in the wrong area!

We have a beautiful black boy called Buster who is 3 years old. We have just bought a yellow girl lab that will be joining our family in a few weeks.

We are all so excited but my question is how do we introduce the 2? And how do we establish her routine while keeping Buster in his?

I have tried to google info on this but haven't had any luck!

If I have posted this in the wrong section feel free to move my post

Cheers,

Jen

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Madge ,
    Welcome to the Forum,great to see you here.Your post is fine here as its advice relating to a new puppy that you are seeking.If you get a chance say hi to everyone over on Introductions ,it also gives you a chance to see all the new members that are joining at the same time as you that may have a puppy the similar age.
    I only have one dog,Dexter who is nearly 3 and he's our first dog,so I've never had to manage your set of circumstances.We've got lots of multi dog members though that will stop by to offer advice and suggestions.
    See you around the Boards
    Angela

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you!

The Happy Puppy Handbook has a great chapter on introductions and is the best book on all things puppy http://tinyurl.com/p2kjl2o .

I introduced them with Tatze on the lead so that the pup could have a little explore, then let them get on with it.

Some dogs take to the pup straight away (then overdo the play!) others are more standoffish . My Tatze (2 years old) adored Twiglet (12 weeks today) from the moment she arrived, I still have to supervise play as they very easily overdo it. I have taught them both the command 'enough' which means 'all play stops, no question'. My friend's Lab, Zaba, the same age as Tatze doesn't like the pup and growls when she come near - which is fine - Twiglet is learning another lesson from him 'this far and no further' which is a very valuable lesson for a pup to learn.

Routine wise my husband has taken over Tatze's walks, so I am lucky. I will take them both when Twiglet is old enough. Twiglet is still on four feeds, so Tatze has a Kong on the in between ones. When I am training the pup Tatze either does it with her or gets a treat for sitting and watching quietly. I have had to cut her meals down as she put weight on the first three weeks - so much extra food!

Here are my two on the first day - no, their play is NOT so gentle any more, Twiglet is a crocapup monster now! lol

http://vid1106.photobucket.com/albums/h371/BoogiesAlbum/IMG_0279.mp4

Here they have both decided to squeeze into Twiglet's bed!

[​IMG]

Here is Twiglet's blog :) http://twigletgdp.blogspot.co.uk/ :)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum . I echo the happy puppy handbook

5. Lynn

Lynn Registered Users

Hello, we are going to get our second lab next year and Robyn will be 3years old then, I was just wondering about putting the puppy in her cage and Robyn will have the run of the lounge, do you think that will work or do you think Robyn will be at the cage all the time. Thankyou

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Young puppies should not be left for more than an hour during the day if that's what you mean?

Otherwise It totally depends on the dogs - neither will need to be in their cage a lot during the day when you are around, just for naps. But mine are both fine (2 years and 12 weeks) either way if they have walked/played etc and are ready for a nap then either can be in the cage.. But if both are ready to snooze at the same time then neither needs to be in :)

7. Lynn

Lynn Registered Users

I work 3 mornings a week and i have a great neighbour that comes in to walk Robyn so the dogs will not be left a long time, what i meant was will Robyn be a problem if she is not in a cage and the new puppy is , i suppose that i will just have to see . I plan to take 3 weeks off work when I get the new puppy home . Thanks

8. Madge71

Madge71 Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your great tips!! Will keep you posted on how it all goes!