introducing old lab with a young lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by sha.h, Oct 8, 2013.

1. sha.h

sha.h Registered Users

hi :)
    I have an 11 year old lab called buffy (bitch) , she will be 12 in december. A friend is sadly having to give up her lab charlie (male) who is 15 months old. We introduced them today to see if they got on, as i would like to take him on. Buffy snarled quite a lot at him as he is very boisterous. We made a lot of fuss with buffy as she will be very jealous. They are going to meet for an hour or so again tomorrow to see how buffy is with him again, charlie was fine just wants to play. Do you think it will work or is buffy too old . They have both been neutered so no worries with that. Was hoping they would be company for each other and charlie may give her a spring in her step as she has slowed down being an old girl. But i dont want her upset at all. Any feed back will be much appreciated.
    Thank You :D

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: introducing old lab with a young lab

Welcome to the forum! :)

When you introduced the two dogs, where were you? If you were at your house that might have made Buffy a bit more reactive than normal to the new dog. If the first meeting was at home, I'd try a few more meetings in a park or field that doesn't represent 'home' to either.

Older dogs have different interests to younger dogs (more pottering, less bouncing) but that doesn't mean they can't get along once they get used to each other. At 12, though, Buffy might be feeling a little sore in places and is a bit worried about being bumped - do you think that's possible? Buffy might need 'protecting' from the younger dog at times, so she is not constantly being harassed and having to tell him to pull his head in. Is your house set up so that you could put each dog in a separate area at times if you needed to?

3. sha.h

sha.h Registered Users

hi rachel, Yes they brought charlie to my home. They are going to bring him tomorrow and leave him with me for an hour , i was going to carry on doing normal house routine while observing closely to see how buffy is, and obviously if its too distressing for her i can seperate them and my friend will be round the corner waiting for me too phone to come get him. I know charlie will be good so i not worried about him. I have the rooms to seperate them when needed so thats good. Buffy has the run of the house so at least she wouldnt feel like she was being put out of the way as i wouldnt like that. I will suggest tomorrow about meeting up the field with them a few times too.
    Thank you for your reply

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope it goes well tomorrow :)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good luck, I think there's a very good chance that once they get to know each other, they will get along fine. But it's a good tip to let them get to know each other on neutral territory first.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Best to introduce them away from the home first or even in the garden and then the house. I had a Lab pup when my GSP (Pointer) was 12 years old, she is now nearly 131/2 and is the boss. You have to let the old dogs tell of the new dogs, so that the new dog learns to respect the old one. I hope it works out, it would be lovely for both dogs and of course you!