Introducing puppy pen

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Elaine06, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Elaine06

Elaine06 Registered Users

Hey everyone...

We are only on day 1 with our new pup but I wanted to asked how to introduce the puppy pen. Jack has already been in his crate and he is going in and out of the pen but if I close the gate he cries. He was in a puppy box at the breeder so is used to being closed in....is it just because he is missing his mum and siblings? I work in the morning and am worried he will be howling the street down ..come next week. Any advice would be appreciated

2. Elaine06

Sorry I am not working till later next week but maybe I am expecting too much too soon

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The first week I stand by the crate until the pup settles. Some pups will shout a bit, but if you are right by them they usually settle if it’s nap time. But be sure he’s tired and ready for a snooze. I then open the gate so that when they wake up they can come straight out.

I cover the end of the pen with blankets to give it a more closed in feel, this doesn’t last many days before the pup is pulling them off lol.

Try to start your intended routine ASAP, that will help when work days begin.

Here is Kara, pup number three, in her pen :)

D8D9DD50-8D92-4E86-BD23-C7D56A4EE48B.jpeg

Harley Quinn and Shaz82 like this.
  4. Elaine06

As she is so cute...thanks for the advice. I have the pen attached to the crate and the crate has a blanket over it. I will start putting him in the pen for naps. First night tonight...eeekk