Introducing your older dog to your puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jerm9999, Nov 20, 2015.

1. jerm9999

jerm9999 Registered Users

We have a three year old Blue Healer/Lab mix (Daisy) and are about ready to get our new Yellow Lab puppy (Lilly) She is currently still with her foster mom until she has her second round of shots, which should be next week. Daisy is what I like to call a free range dog. She has free reign of the house, can do and go where she pleases. She never has accidents and only chews on what she is allowed to chew on. She is by far the smartest dog I have ever owned. Like all Blue Healers she is full of energy and likes to play. The two of them have met. The foster mom brought her over for an hour or so to see how they will interact. Daisy immediately wanted to play. She started to "punch" Lilly with her nose. She does this with her squeaky balls to make them squeak. Well Lilly is only about 10 weeks old and still really small, I am concerned that Daisy may accidentally try to hurt Lilly wanting to play to hard. Other than watching the two of them like a hawk does anyone have any suggestions?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Awww......my lab is called Lilly. Our rabbit is called Daisy.
    Welcome to the family.

Sorry I can't help with your question though x

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My (2 year old) Tatze has had two baby pups to contend with, one last year and one this year. Each time we brought the pup in, put her down and let them get to know each other without us intervening.
    All went well both times :)

We have two 'safe places' for Tatze where the pup is not allowed near (her chair and her crate). Twiglet is now 6 months old and - as soon as Tatze gets on her chair - turns round and leaves her to snooze :)

Older dogs are amazingly gentle with pups - but need to know we won't let the pup play relentlessly :)

Here is Tatze the first day Twiglet arrived in July. It's good to encourage them to play with toys together as much as possible (rather than each other's skin!)

http://vid1106.photobucket.com/album...m/IMG_0279.mp4

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Tatze is SUCH a super star....those pups are so lucky. :)

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Fantastic video. It's hard to believe that's their first day together. Tatze us a very special girl.

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Great video Boogie, what lovely dogs you have.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Welcome to the Forum,We have Dexter ,our first dog who is 3 and we are a single dog family!
    Are you planning to use a crate for Lilly?If you are that would give her a safe place that you could use to separate them.This might be a better way if Daisy is used to full access to the house......
    Best Wishes
    Angela x

8. jerm9999

Those two are so cute!

9. jerm9999

That is the plan. Friday is "gotcha day" and my wife and I can't wait.

10. jerm9999

So far so good. Lilly is so small that schedule runs away from Daisy when ever she gets close. A lot of sniffing going on. Daisy does not like sharing her toys.

11. jerm9999