Inverted vulva

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Holliesmum, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to lab puppies (always rescued older dogs). we have hollie ten weeks old and is doing really well (apart from the biting which yelping doesn't work!!!! ).

Anyway hubby noticed she didn't look right and the vet confirmed a inverted vulva :( and she will need some surgery to correct it at the same time as getting 'done' at 4 months. I have read that bitches should have had their first season before being speyed and it can also 'correct' the problem she has.
    What should I do, get her done or wait till after?

Also would her insurance pay for the plastic surgery to correct as it's a previous condition????

Any replies greatfuly received
    Xx

2. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Re: Inverted vulva

I have no advice for you I'm afraid but welcome to the forum from 9month old Milly and me. I'm sure someone will have some help for you.

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi from me Helen, Hattie 7 years and our rescue Charlie 3 years. Sorry I don't have any advise just wanted to welcome you and Hollie to the forum x :)

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

[quote author=Holliesmum link=topic=7601.msg106135#msg106135 date=1409520231]
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to lab puppies (always rescued older dogs). we have hollie ten weeks old and is doing really well (apart from the biting which yelping doesn't work!!!! ).

Anyway hubby noticed she didn't look right and the vet confirmed a inverted vulva :( and she will need some surgery to correct it at the same time as getting 'done' at 4 months. I have read that bitches should have had their first season before being speyed and it can also 'correct' the problem she has.
    What should I do, get her done or wait till after?

Also would her insurance pay for the plastic surgery to correct as it's a previous condition????

Any replies greatfuly received
    Xx

[/quote]

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My bitch also had an inverted vulva, so feel free to throw any questions my way! :)

Penny's wasn't picked up until after her 4th urine infection by the time she was five months old - inverted vulvas can make a bitch prone to these so make sure you keep an eye on her urine habits! I was advised to let Penny have a season before speying as 99% of the time this will correct the problem without the need for surgery. I am very surprised that your vet is recommending speying as if you Spey whilst the bitches vulva is still inverted the problem will never fix itself and you will end up with a bitch that has continual urine infections, or having to shell out for corrective surgery.

Whilst I was waiting for Penny to have a season I put her on cranberry supplements and made sure she was taking on extra water as a means to help prevent urine infections developing and I have to say this seemed to work as she had none from the time I started the supplements to having a season. She actually ended up having two seasons before we speyed her but that's a whole other issue! Anyway her vulva corrected itself without the need for any interference and it's highly likely this will be the case your bitch.

5. Holliesmum

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Penny+me will the cranberry supplements be ok with her only being 11weeks Thursday?

We clean her 3 times a day to stop any skin irritation.

The vet didn't say anything about waiting for first season just straight to corrective surgery, I'm not liking the vet we choose so after next injection I think I will change?? They seem to be all money money money and not very caring :(

Thanks again
    X

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

In view of Penny+Me's personal experience of this, I think it would be sensible to seek a second opinion with another vet. Do you live in the UK?

7. Holliesmum

Yes in the uk,

don't worry I'm no push over I've read the same advice which penny+me suggested I just wanted to clarify with a 'real' person their experience.

xhniu (that was Hollie trying to eat the iPad!!!!)

Thanks again
    X

8. Penny+Me

[quote author=Holliesmum link=topic=7601.msg106197#msg106197 date=1409561574]
    Thanks for the replies everyone,

Penny+me will the cranberry supplements be ok with her only being 11weeks Thursday?

We clean her 3 times a day to stop any skin irritation.

The vet didn't say anything about waiting for first season just straight to corrective surgery, I'm not liking the vet we choose so after next injection I think I will change?? They seem to be all money money money and not very caring :(

Thanks again
    X
    [/quote]

The cranberry should be ok for a young pup, just give a small dose! Start off on a low dose too to make sure she tolerates it ok. I used these http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-cranberry-concentrate-tablets-60004361 and gave Penny two tablets twice a day. She was (and still is!) a very small Labrador. Maybe start with one twice a day and see how you go. To get extra water into her, as she was having dry food only, I just added 250ml water to each meal - you can use much less if your pup has wet food.

Definitely go for a second or even third opinion. It wasn't until the third vet I saw, who was the only one who even did a physical examination, that Penny's problem was picked up. Do some research yourself too - don't rely on your vet having all the answers, especially if you don't feel confident in them.

When a bitch has a season her vulva swells. This swelling acts to 'pop' the inverted vulva back into its proper position. It is very rare that this doesn't solve the problem so I do highly recommend allow your pup to have her first season before considering surgery, however you do need to speak to your vet about it as they are the experts after all!!

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lauren knows about this stuff.
    I would go with her advice.
    I would have thought 4 months was actually pretty young to be spayed in any event.
    I was keen on getting Lilly done before her first season, and that in itself is a bit controversial I now know, but my vet wouldn't do her op until she was minimum of 6 months.
    I think I might be asking another vet.

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I also thought being spayed at 4 months was ridiculously early, that is why I asked if you lived in the UK as they tend to spay that early in the US.

11. lablover

lablover Registered Users

Meg is 14 now but when she was about 9 months (I think, long time ago) our vet at the time wanted to spay her before her first season which he did. We had no problems until this year when she became incontinent of urine and our lovely vet now says it was because she was spayed before first season. An hormonal problem. It's under control with 2 incurin tablets a day. If and when I have another pup (not for a few years yet I really really hope) I would certainly let her have her first season before being spayed. Our vet who spayed meg said it reduced the chances of cancer. I think all vets are different, have different ideas. At the end of the day she's your pup and you can decide what you think is best. Hope you find a nicer vet.

12. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

My experience is the same. I have had two bitches with this condition, and in both cases resolved with the first season. To the best of my knowledge this is what normally happens. So I am very surprised that your vet recommended spaying her so early . Especially as we now know there are other risks involved in early spay. May be another veterinary opinion would be advisable?

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Over the years, I had two bitches spayed before their first season and two after and the incontinent ones were the ones who were spayed after their season!

14. Holliesmum

I have had a second opinion on hollies inverted vulva while getting her microchiped

he said that she will probably need surgery. :'(

he said they would wait until after her first season to do the op as it is very unlikely it will correct itself :(

Guess we will start saving now as the insurance probably won't pay :(

I wonder how much it will be?

X

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

oh I'm so sorry she'll have to undergo an op.....still keeping fingers crossed her season has a positive impact.

Your vet should be able to give you an idea of cost in advance I'd have thought.

big hugs!

16. Penny+Me

Oh no! :( I would still definitely wait for her first season though as you never know, there could still be a chance it could correct itself.