Is Adopted Lab Too Thin?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Claire Younts, Sep 7, 2015.

?

Hello all. We adopted Martha yesterday from a respected kennel here in NC. We saw all of the breeder

1. Too thin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Just right

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Better ask the vet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Claire Younts

Claire Younts Registered Users

Hello all. We adopted Martha yesterday from a respected kennel here in NC. We saw all of the breeder's dogs and his kennel--all gorgeous, very healthy with nice full bodies. Martha was one of his pups sent to another breeder as a pup to expand her kennel's bloodlines. When her owner was ready to retire her after a few years, her "birth" breeder wanted her back. He agreed to let us adopt so she could live out the rest of her life in a home rather than in a kennel. Question: She looks very thin to us. Is she too thin? She is a very small 6 year old English lab and weighs about 60 pounds. She is very active and happy, but we're wondering if we should up her feed a bit. We cannot see her ribs but can feel them without pressing too hard and her waist seems too defined. Our other retired bitch is a fatty so I wonder if it's just seeing the two together that makes me worry. I will try to post some pictures. Any feedback is very welcome. Thank you!

2. Claire Younts

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Can't see any photo on your post, you need to use a hosting site like flickr, but from your description she's absolutely fine as ideally you can't see their ribs but cam feel them when running your hand down their side without pressing hard and they should have a nice defined waist. also her weight is around 27kg (60lbs) so she is well within the range of normal.:D

4. Claire Younts

5. Claire Younts

6. Claire Younts

MaccieD --Thanks for the input. I was trying to upload the photos from my computer files--I guess that won't work. I'll keep trying.

7. Claire Younts

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Many congratulations on getting your girl home!

It's a bit difficult to tell from the photo - from what I can see she doesn't look too thin at all.

She looks a tad too heavy in the earlier photo, not massively though.

9. Claire Younts

Thank you, JulieT ! I am probably just used to seeing them a bit heavier. Glad to hear she looks fit.

10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

A lovely looking girl :D. I agree with JulieT on the earlier photo., Hope Martha is settling in well.

11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Their waist should be well defined from above and the side - it's much better for their health to be lean, as in humans :)

Their ribs should be easily felt, as under a blanket. Not a sheet (too thin) or a duvet (too fat).

[​IMG]

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would settle for something in the middle of the two photos:)

13. Claire Younts

Thank you both! If I go by the chart above, she looks to be ideal weight. Perhaps I'm just used to a bit stockier labs. She's a sweetheart either way but I do want her to be very healthy and live a long life with us. :)

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think she looks about right myself. My Lilly is 25kg which I think is around 55lbs? Lilly isn't quite typical working strain, I think she is too tall to fit the standards though.

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

She look fine there are alot of fat labs out there and we are not used to seeing dogs the weight they should be. its always been a big problem for me her in the midlands as I keep my labs at the ideal weight and i'm always being told my labs are too thin. The chart is great and a real help.

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

She looks a perfect weight, as long as she hasn't lost weight quickly, and she is well, I wouldn't worry! So much better to have a lean lab, gives them a much better chance of a long, healthy life!
    On our walk yesterday we met a gorgeous 9 year old lab, full of life, affectionate, and desperate to play with our young lab Benson. Only she couldn't. She was overweight, and within a few minutes was really panting. It really brought home that it is so important to keep our labs at a healthy weight.

17. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I second what all the others have said, she looks a good weight.

I have a Field Lab (I think you call them English Labs) and she looks remarkably like Matha, except Molly is Yellow

Molly is very athletic, with vast amounts of energy and keeps healthy so figure she is healthy.

There are so many fat Labs around that people think that Labs are big fat dogs which waddle around, but that is not how they are meant to be.

I wish you and Martha many happy years together.

18. Claire Younts

Thank you so much! She's such a great little lady. We're so happy to have her with us now.

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

She looks beautiful, and I'm sure will repay your love enormously. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

20. Claire Younts

Thanks so much, Karen ! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. She's our second adopted retired dam--trying to fill up our house again now that our boys have all left home. :)