Is it normal

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Holliesmum, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

For Hollie to bite us when we take something she isn't allowed to have?

It's like she is saying 'hey that's mine you witch, right I'm going to sink my teeth into you for taking that away from me'

I know the obvious teething/pain and getting excited biting is normal but I'm getting a little concerned about the actual amount of biting she does. The ONLY time she isn't biting is when she is tired/asleep

Thanks again guys

2. Tomal

Tomal Registered Users

Re: Is it normal

Hi,

We were told to "swap" with the puppy rather than just remove the item that they shouldn't have (usually my husband's slipper!). So we just grab a tiny bit of ham or chicken (or whatever treat we're using) and say "drop" and Max will drop the forbidden item and eat the treat. It's working well so far! :)

3. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Sounds like a plan,

we had been trying to swap with a toy but she wasn't interested, I suppose we thought we would be 'treating' the behaviour we didn't want.

Will give it a go, but I'm not too bothered with her getting things she shouldn't have, she is a puppy after all it's the biting

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

We did the same,always swapped for a treat...you are treating the 'drop' rather than theft ;D
    I started playing 'catch' with a light plastic ball too.id throw it and say catch ,then drop and he got a treat for the drop....I think that helped,our drop training along and it's a game to keep them busy too, :D

5. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

:) I do a distract drop with stolen bootie or biting easier said than done when you have an 11 kg puppy attached plus he has a knitwear fetish so my jumpers generally take the bite. Quite funny when he returns to find his contraband gone. Had dogs all my life and can't remember any over a few months crocadoging so I'm just wearing my snaptooth scars with pride as he grows out of it . sure yours will go through this as they all seem to and it will all be a memory soon good luck.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - it works to swap for a treat.

It's worth having a really tasty treat on hands for emergencies.

Then, when they get something they really shouldn't have you can get it off them (the first in this category was a poisoned rat! :eek: :-\ )

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=lemmys mum link=topic=8200.msg115902#msg115902 date=1412935549]
    wearing my snaptooth scars with pride
    [/quote]

Oh yes. Been there.

8. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I didn't have that with Chepi but I had the jumping up and snatching my clothes when excited do I would give her a toy instead or find some way of distracting her.

9. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

When Bouncer's biting gets out of hand I give him an ice cube, he loves them.

10. chrism

chrism Registered Users

An ice cube. What a brilliant idea. Sara likes to dig up rocks and throw them around. I'm afraid she'll eat them, but an ice cube would also make that great sound bouncing off the walls.

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=8200.msg115964#msg115964 date=1412956794]
    [/quote]

Willow had her first ice cube on Thursday. Hysterical! :D

12. Leanangle

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8200.msg116044#msg116044 date=1413008338]
    [quote author=Leanangle link=topic=8200.msg115964#msg115964 date=1412956794]
    [/quote]

Willow had her first ice cube on Thursday. Hysterical! :D
    [/quote]

Its so funny seeing them try to figure out why a big puppy paw wont hold it still

13. Leanangle

Also make some chicken or beef insyant gravy & freeze that in the ice cube tray. You can give them to your pup straight outa the tray or push them into a Kong.

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

crocadoging
    [/quote]

And now it has a name ;D

15. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=8200.msg116118#msg116118 date=1413038544]
    crocadoging
    [/quote]

And now it has a name ;D
    [/quote]

:) lol yeah are Lemmy is half lab half crocadog .

16. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=chrism link=topic=8200.msg116041#msg116041 date=1412993778]
    An ice cube. What a brilliant idea. Sara likes to dig up rocks and throw them around. I'm afraid she'll eat them, but an ice cube would also make that great sound bouncing off the walls.
    [/quote]

Flavoured ice cubes are even better. One of Holly's favourite treats.