Is it time to say Goodbye

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by stuart, Jun 22, 2017.

1. stuart

stuart Registered Users

Harvey my 13 year old mate has been diagnosed with kidney failure, he also has arthritis in front and back legs. Has been off his food for about a week, lost around 4.5kg.
    Today is 2nd day of fluids by intravenous drip at the Vets to see if this will help.
    I love this bloody dog, brings me to tears just thinking about making that decision.
    He has a good life so far, but now the bad days out way the good.
    Not sure if I am just prolonging the inevitable last goodbye

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Bless you and him xx

You will know when the time is right for him, the time will never be right for you :(

Jes72, Edp, Sven and 1 other person like this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Stuart, I'm so sorry to hear this :(

I don't know how you make that decision, I really don't. I think you should probably talk to your vet. The decision is ultimately the last great act of kindness you will ever make. I've heard people saying they know by looking in their dog's eyes if it's time.

Another phrase that has stuck with me is "better a day too soon, than a day too late".

I can't imagine what you're feeling right now. We're here for you, whatever happens.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello Stuart, welcome to the forum. Those of us who have been through this know what a horrible time you are going through. Just stay with your best friend right to the end; he trusts you and knows you will make the right decision for him. He wont be afraid and he wont feel any pain. Stay strong for him.

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So terribly sorry that you're facing this.

As Karen says, when it's time stay with him, right by his nose. He will be ok with you there.

Thinking of you.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I got the vet to come to us so that they could go to sleep on their favourite bed.

It cost a lot more, but it was worth it.

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Just wanted to say I am so sorry, and echo the wise words above...

8. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Lots of wise words said already, but also wanting to say how sorry I am.

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I am so sorry for you. It is a year and a day since we lost Belle to kidney disease. We were trying her on steroids for a week, and I took her back to for a check, but I knew. I just knew. I stood in the vets, sobbing that she'd had enough & it was time. He agreed with me. Just be there for him. x

10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I feel so sad for you, it's one of the toughest decisions in the world. Sending big hugs :hug:

11. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

So sorry for you having to make this awful decision. I would echo @snowbunny's comment about better a day too soon than a day too late, this happened to us last year and if I could go back in time I would probably make a different decision. But you will know when the time is right. Enjoy the time you have left with Harvey xx

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You will know when the time comes, you just know. However, as your beloved dog is on a drip, maybe just give another day to see if it helping. If there is now chance, then a day too soon is better than a day too late. I am so sorry, our dogs mean more to us than we can say.

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I feel so very sad for you as Harvey is your best friend :(:( I read somewhere as above that to let our precious dogs go a day sooner is much better than a day later. Trust your instincts and heart they won't let you down. It is the final thing kind thing we can do is to let our dogs go with dignity as heartbreaking as that is. I haven't had to cope with this yet but I really hope I will be able to make the very best choice for my dogs. Thinking about you and Harvey. xxx

14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I am so very sorry to read your sad news and can truly empathise with you , as my lad has a form of cancer . I truly don't think that there is a right time , more a case of the kindest time , when quality of life is compromised .I wish you all the very best xx

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So very sorry.

16. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Such a tough time. After we put my last dog down my vet sent me a card saying " you know when it's the right time and it was his time". It's really hard. I have been at home with all my 3 and cuddled them to the end. It's so peaceful and a privilege to be with them and allow them to have dignity. Big hugs from us all .

Stacia likes this.
  17. MF

MF Registered Users

I am so sorry and so sad for you.

18. Sven

Sven Registered Users

So sorry to to hear about Harvey. You will know

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:(
    So sorry - must be awful.
    Dreading when this will come my way.
    Just be with him xx

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

So sorry to read your post ,a time we all dread.My thoughts are with you as you go through this difficult time x