Is it too late to start clicker training?

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by SteveF, Aug 7, 2014.

1. SteveF

SteveF Registered Users

Murphy is 10 months old and I`ve been training whistle and verbal commands for sit, recall (progressing to whistle only for left/right etc.) with verbal only commands for heel and down. Would it confuse him if I introduced C&T for the heel as I`m having issues in that area and would like to reinforce the heel position and walking on the lead generally? Thanks. Steve.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Is it too late to start clicker training?

It won't confuse him at all :) A clicker is an event marker that pinpoints the moment the dog 'gets it right'. It will make things clearer for your dog.

First you'll need to charge up your clicker. Have a pile of treats ready and just click, feed a treat, click, feed a treat etc. You really don't need to spend days doing that, but a few sessions of just clicking and treating (say, about 20 clicks and treats) is a good idea, to cement that link between the click and the promise of a reward. Then you're ready to use your click to mark the moments when your dog does as you ask (following each click with a treat). For the firsts session, ask your dog to do things he knows already, like sit or drop, and click to mark the moment he gets the behaviour right. Then the next day move to using the clicker to start teaching new things or refining existing things that need sharpening.

Your dog will appreciate the clicker if you've never used any kind of event marker before as now what you want will be really clear to your dog. He will know exactly when he's done it right. :)

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I only started clicker training when my dogs were two. I found it helped a lot even with the stuff we'd already been training. It improved their focus and they seem to work better for the click. :)

4. Sophie-Bum

Sophie-Bum Registered Users

I raised my old springer since he was 8 weeks old. I didn't introduce a clicker until he was 8. My son and I spent the 6 weeks holidays teaching him to close the door. You can teach an old dog new tricks :D

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We have started clicker training our rehomed labrador, he will be 6 in Feb. We have had him a month now.

He didn't have basic commands on board, apart from possibly being taught "paw" at some point in his early life. Clicker training has worked a treat in teaching him his name, sit, sit-stay, heel and a recall (admittedly this needs a wee bit more proofing..) Working in retrieving tennis balls now.

I am convinced this has helped him picked up these essential skills quickly and easily! Plus he is a lab who loves his food, and being on a diet I think probably helped with attention and focus! :)