is marley underweight

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jo2201, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Jo2201

Jo2201 Registered Users

Marley is now 6 mths old he was weighed at vets around a mth ago and was about 13kg he looks so skinny his his bones are visible I feed him recommend amount plus treats he is on beco wild boar food suitable for all ages as he has bad case of worms when he came to us which messed his belly up and also found out he couldn't tolerate chicken same as our last lab who was opposite side of scale weighing 39kg (proper chunky lab) marley started like that but seems to have gone other way now any suggestions would be welcomed we refer to him as adhd dog as he is just like our eldest and doesn't stop

2. MF

MF Registered Users

If you're worried why not ask your vet? Also get a poo test to test for worms. Our boy lost weight which was due to tapeworm. Dewormed him and he put on 1 kg in a week.

3. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

You say he's on the go all the time so he's probably burning up all the calories his food is providing. The guide on the food bag is just that, a guide, he may need to be fed more than is recommended to suit his energy level. I had the same problem with one of my previous dogs, he looked like a toast rack for quite a while. His breeder recommended cutting back on his exercise, upping his food slightly but feeding it over 3 or 4 meals a day which is much easier for their stomachs to cope with. He did eventually bulk up but was always a slim, very active dog.

4. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

If I was worried then I would go to my vet - they are in a position to check any medical issues out/rule them out and also can let you know if Marley needs to up his intake of food. Bailey actually lost weight about half a kilo in a week - but there was a bitch in season somewhere around where we live and he was completely off his food - he was on some days only eating half his breakfast all day and refusing all other foods and even some treats, especially while we were out. I was worried but the vet wasn't.

5. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I have always had to feed much more than the bag suggests or else Axel was skin and bones. But with my other dog, Odie, I feed much less than the bag suggests. So maybe that's the case, that he is burning more calories than he is taking in, but regardless I would be going to the vet to be examined again :)

6. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

My brother had a working line lab who was very skinny. As a family we had show labs who were all chunky so Fin, in our opinion, was skin and bones and it seemed he used to clank when he settled on the stone or wood floor!

However, he was healthy, happy, energetic, ate well and no concerns from the vet.
    Even after neutering he remained a skinny boy.

He did gain weight when he got older although was never overweight.

7. Jo2201

Jo2201 Registered Users

Took marley to vets today he fine is wormed regularly he is 19.7kg have increased to meal amounts over last couple of days he looks better for it not eating everything in sight so hopefully be will keep putting a bit more weight on he was so chunky at 3 / 4 mths then it went bag of bone's will update as he grow would add pic but can't figure out how to upload one

mandyb and MF like this.