Is my clicker charged?

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Dextersmum, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Dextersmum

Dextersmum Registered Users

Hiya, New to clicker training!
    I've read several clicker training pages about training with a clicker and when referring to charging the clicker they all pretty much say that its done when the dog hears the click and looks to you for a reward/ treat. My boy Dexter looks at the clicker hand rather than me or the treat hand (clicker is behind my back so he cant actually see it, just knows it's there)
    Is this the same thing?
    I am also working on a "watch me" cue as well.

Also, what point do I start to enter a cue word - and when do I say the cue word? Before the click, or after the click and before the reward?

Thanks in advance

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

It does sound like you are almost there with clicker charging.

The purpose of clicker charging is just to get your dog to associate the clicker sound with something really good and rewarding, this can also be a toy. It is natural for your dog to look for the sound of the clicker, I am not sure it matters at this point whether he is looking at your clicker, I think this will fade out once you start asking for behaviours. One point here is to make sure the treat stays in your treat bag or pot until after you have clicked for the behaviour, unless you are luring a new behaviour.

You can now start asking for a simple behaviour that your dog already knows, like a sit. Then use your clicker to "mark" the exact time your dogs bottom is on the floor, then within 2 seconds, give a treat. Don't rush this, and make eye contact when you do. :) If you don't have any cues on board, that's OK, just wait until you pup offers a sit, then click! Do this a few times, before adding a cue for sit.

You might find this article useful to check where you are in charging the clicker.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! :)

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/5-steps-to-charging-a-clicker/