Is my puppy happy?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MossyB, Sep 2, 2015.

1. MossyB

MossyB Registered Users

So Mossy has been with us for two and a half weeks now. I think that on the whole she seems to be doing ok...sleeping from 11-6, mostly eating ok save for the odd dodgy turn.

However, I'm wondering whether she is happy! The things that make me say that are: she seems to find other people more interesting and exciting than me, she doesn't seem interested in chasing a ball or chewing a stuffed kong, and she looks bored in her crate next to my desk at work. I keep wondering whether I'm giving her enough stimulation and excitement - she gets an off-lead run in the local field in the morning (20 mins) a walk at lunch and another runabout in the afternoon, plus the regular bonkers times at home.

How can you tell if your dog is happy and likes you?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm sure your puppy is absolutely fine! :)

I sometimes think that domestic pet dogs live an odd kind of life - on the whole, it consists of not doing very much. I sometimes wonder if it takes puppies a while to adjust to this (after constant entertainment of being with littermates - unless asleep).

Most dogs are perfectly happy, and perfectly well adjusted living a pet dog life. I like my dog to have as much activity in his day as I can manage, but I know he'd really like more (tough luck, I say, I do my best and he has to make do ;) ).

I do think that kongs are a good thing to get your dog "into" - when chewing a kong the dog is still, bum on the floor, quiet and settled, and being rewarded for this state by the food from the kong. Try filling it with really tasty things at first, you can use more boring things later.

You could try swapping the bonkers time to a bit of training time, using their brains does tire them out and helps a lot.....

Labradors finding new people (and dogs, and toys, and just anything) exciting is completely normal!

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sorry, should have said - for a young puppy "activity" doesn't mean more high impact exercise. Moderate exercise for tiny growing joints is the way to go....

4. MossyB

MossyB Registered Users

Thanks for your reassurance! I guess we're both still adjusting to each other.

It probably doesn't help that I've reigned in the tasty treats for the last two days as she had a dodgy tummy. Seems fine now so I'll try a good kong stuffing tomorrow.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh yes, she's fine I'm sure. Other people simply have novelty value. :)

6. Mylestogo

Mylestogo Registered Users

I worried about this a lot when Myles was a baby, I thought nothing motivated him and I really worried about whether or not he was enjoying life. He didn't seem to get really excited for walks, or to see me when I got home, or to even play! I just think puppies are awkward and don't yet know what floats their boat. I think it took months for me to understand him and know how to get him to play, calm him down, etc. Now we know eachother much better and he's settled into a routine and seems happier in general. But I felt very unsure when he was just a wee baby.

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I had a hard time with me 2nd lab midge she was the hardest dog i've ever had. It was a constant battle of wills from when she came home. I was always unsure if I was doing the right thing for her She tested me all the time and I was sure she didn't like me or need me much. We did everything together and I took her to places that she found interesting and did loads of things with her when she was old enough. Boredem was a real problem for her she and I did like julie said find games and things for her to do. She never greets any of my dog walking friends (one she's known for 10 years still cant get over it) and only acknowledges the exsistance of one friend and if you can't do anything for her she ignores you and tries to find her own entertainment. The first time my dad saw her he said take her back and even the vet says she's so knowing. I really love her she makes me laugh and her spirit is totally undefeatable. Now she's 12 and when I recently was in hospital for a while she missed me and made everyone aware of it. I was amazed out of all my dogs i always thought she was the most self sufficent and needed me the least, I've had to reavalulate the way I think about her. She used to watch me and everything like your pup, I think in her case she was just doing her intelligence before she started her plans for world domination. She seems to have mellowed in her old age and is now willing to admit sometimes that we really are just very good friends who like having fun together. Its hard to know if we are doing the right things but she sounds like she's just getting used to her new home and you. I worry about all my dogs constanly but they all seem happy and well adjusted and enjoy our routine. I always tell myself they didn't choose to be with me they got drafted and try to my best, I think thats all we can do.

8. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

I worried about this too in the early days, and sometimes still do. Jura is 19 weeks, and it did take a while for us all to settle down and get used to each other. Now she is much more responsive, loves playing her favourite game of hide and seek with her toys, and the sound of her tail wagging against her crate when we get up in the morning is deafening!

New people are still, and always will be, far far more interesting though. She also has developed a lovely habit of trying to get in other people's cars after a walk if there is a car door open nearby! I'm sure she is just being nosy and doesn't really want to go home with them, at least that's what I'm telling myself!

9. MossyB

MossyB Registered Users

Just a few days later and I'm more positive she's enjoying her new life. Tried some banana in a kong and that went down well. Now her stomach is better I have used chopped up frankfurter for treats and she's more attentive!!

10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I felt exactly the same with Mabel, she just didn't seem to like me, seemed bored to tears and wouldn't play fetch which made my OH laugh he thought I was being silly. It's so true what others have written it's a settling in period. Now my girl is 9 months and we are really bonding. Training is definitely the way to go along with Kongs. If you can put up with the mess try hiding a treat in an empty box. I now use the Russian doll idea and put three tiny treats inside 3 boxes.
    She also finds everything exciting, empty paper bags blowing in the wind, doesn't get much better than that unless they have food in them. :rolleyes: