Is the car crate too small now?

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Jane Martin, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Chepi has loads of room to lie down in the car crate but if she sits up her poll (top of head) is touching the top of the crate. I am thinking that it needs to be taller. I can open the top but then Chepi would need to be anchored.
    I only have a Fiesta so can't fit a bigger crate.
    If she can't sit up comfortably (even though there's lots of room to lay) is it too small? What would be the next move? :(

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Is the car crate too small now?

I brought a hammock for inside the car and strap her in with a harness and seat belt attachment. Might be worth looking at especially as she gets bigger?

3. Jane Martin

Thanks! I will look into those :)

4. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

Bigger car ? we had to change our small car for a larger one when we got the late Molliepops (retriever cross) she hated my corsa so we got her a CRV which she loved. Elsie loves the CRV too and with the split back door even when she is determined to get out the bottom door holds her back until I get the lead on.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

It is the same with my Labs, but they don't seem to mind, mostly they lie down in the car. I could take the top off, but I don't feel there is the need to do so.

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

The people I bought my crate off said you didn't want too much head height as they're better off lying down anyway. Riley can sit up in his but only a bit hunched over. If I open the door he sits up straight with his head out the door. When he's travelling though he settles down quickly as it's more comfy and probably more stable too.....

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

The hatchback boot of my Ford Fiesta is just about the same size as a dog crate and seems to fit Pongo well now he is a big boy. He can sit up or lie down, but not wander about. This may seem a stupid question but.... is there any reason he shouldn't just travel in that area (loose) rather than being in a crate?

8. Jane Martin

Well I have gone "loose" with Chepi in my fiesta boot. It feels a bit odd but the only difference is opening the boot and making sure she doesn't jump straight out.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=7816.msg122353#msg122353 date=1415447228]
    This may seem a stupid question but.... is there any reason he shouldn't just travel in that area (loose) rather than being in a crate?
    [/quote]

It depends.

If you compare it to a standard wire crate, no, there is little difference apart from, as Jane says, the "jump out" issue, and the inconvenience if you go to training and want to leave the boot lid up when you dog is in the car etc.

If though, you compare to a properly crash tested travel crate with - in an ideal world - the crate matching the crumple zones of the car, there is a big difference in safety in the event of a crash. Particularly a rear end shunt.

10. Jane Martin

Yes, I agree with the danger of an accident but the boot is small and the dog is not; I can't get a crash cate big enough for Chepi and small enough to fit the boot. I would love a crash crate.

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We are looking at various options right now, mainly due to wanting to be in control when I open the boot, and not having 2 big labs rushing me out the back...it hasn't happened yet, but not entirely confident Benson wouldn't leap out if some young thing in season would happen to trot by... ::)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=7816.msg122440#msg122440 date=1415476307]
    Yes, I agree with the danger of an accident but the boot is small and the dog is not; I can't get a crash cate big enough for Chepi and small enough to fit the boot. I would love a crash crate.
    [/quote]

Sure, Rosie just asked, that's all.

Safedog do a hatchback version, a single extra large, that will fit a Ford Fiesta. 610mm long, shaped to fit the hatchback boot shape.

13. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

When I need to make sure Pongo doesn't leap out, I open the back door (behind the drivers seat), clip his lead on, then drop folding back seat down so he can get out that way on the lead! Not very elegant but it does work.

14. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Murphy has a pretty good wait so if hes in the boot i dont really worry about him jumping out when i first open, BUT i hate him being in the boot, i worry ridiculously about him being crushed if someone went into the back of us. On long journeys i try and have him on the back seat, thats in our audi estate anyway, in the murph mobile (suzuki vitara) it doesnt really have a boot so he goes on back seat anyway.