Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Fwhitt246, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Hi everyone, havent been on in ages! But wanted some opinions as have just made a rather big decision. I have recently started following a local dog rescue called Leash of Life which rescues dogs in Romania from horrible shelters that kill them in horrible ways etc. They have been asking for more fosterers, and I have been thinking about fostering for a while anyway, as an alternative to getting another dog and feeling that I was doing my bit to help others, so I have chatted to the lady and subject to a house check (i just need to have a secure garden, which i do) i could be getting a foster dog on 8th nov! They come fullyvacc, neutered, and already spend a month in foster in romania before they come back so they get to know their temperament and dont bring back aggressive dogs that would be hard to home. They tend to be little mongrels. Anyway the woman seems really nice and very passionate, and I am excited to be doing this, but also a little anxious too. I suppose if it doesnt work out then I can just help the rescue in other ways, but I am still a little worried. I know murphy would be fine as he loves other dogs, but they dogs that come over arent cat assessed so would have to see because of Harry, although he is dog savvy so I think he would be ok :/. Core blimey it feels like a hige decision and I just dont want to do something I regret, or somehting that could cause problems to my own animals. Help!

Also, my sis has already pointed out all the dogs in this country that need help and how it doesnt help bringing others over, but i just want to help everyone! X

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Is this a good idea???

As long as it is healthy and fit to travel I don't think it matters if the dog is from Romania, Outer Mongolia or Hampton Court Palace :)

What is the rescue organisation's procedure if you find that it doesn't work out with this dog, or if the dog is a big problem with your cat? I think that as long as there is an escape clause then things should be ok. I'd also want to know about their record in re-homing dogs, so you know you won't be hosting the rescued dog indefinitely.

If you are happy with the organisation and it seems well run and professional and you have the right to veto the dog after a brief trial, them I say 'give it a go'. :) If it doesn't work out then there are lots of other options for helping too - these organisations always need donations and people to help with transporting dogs etc.

You are doing a kind-hearted thing, and I admire you for that :)

3. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

You are very kind hearted no argument but I work with a small UK rescue and we have to turn away dogs every day. Some we know will be going back into terrible conditions or be dead by the next day. Until there are no UK dogs needing help I can't see the sense in bringing others into the country.
    Just my opinion and obviously you must do what you feel is right but wonder if you have approached UK rescues they are all crying out for help.

4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=8440.msg119326#msg119326 date=1414103649]
    As long as it is healthy and fit to travel I don't think it matters if the dog is from Romania, Outer Mongolia or Hampton Court Palace :)

[/quote]

Quite right - the dog doesn't know what nationality it is.... good luck, what you're doing cannot be wrong. If everyone wanting to help waited until they were sure nothing would go wrong, then most generous acts would never take place.

Let us know how it all goes. Thinking of you.

5. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

The dog doesn't know obviously but don't we have a duty of care to dogs here before bringing more into the country ?

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Julie1962 link=topic=8440.msg119372#msg119372 date=1414140182]
    The dog doesn't know obviously but don't we have a duty of care to dogs here before bringing more into the country ?
    [/quote]

I don't think so. A dog is a dog, wherever it is, its location seems pretty irrelevant. :)

There might be an argument that the cost of travel is a waste, but choosing a dog to rescue is such a random and emotional thing, it's the lucky dog that is in the right place at the right time, and most people "waste" money on various things for pets in one way or another, I can't really see that's a strong argument either.

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I think you are doing a wonderful thing. Just be aware the dog won't understand English so may take a wee bit longer to train. Of course our dogs don't speak English either, but they have been brought up from pups to understand our body language paired with the words.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just be aware that you could end up with a 'failed' foster!

(ie keeping him/her!)

Good luck, I think you are doing a lovely thing and the dog will be very lucky.

I 'foster' a Guide Dog pup. She is my first, so I only have an idea how I'll feel when I have to give her up. But I have spent quite a lot of time preparing myself emotionally.

It can't be easy, that's for sure!

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Good on you Frankie ,I read heartbreaking stories everyday about dogs....sometimes I think I should come away from a lot of the groups I'm in as I'm not exaggerating ,I have a cry everyday over one or another....but then I wouldn't read the happy stories about people like you who do make a difference to one dogs life somewhere.....let us know how you do and what you think after you've been homechecked x

10. Fwhitt246

Thanks everyone. I understand what lots of you are saying, that there are many dogs in this country and I would definitely help local rescues in the future, it's just this opportunity has come up now and I think it would be a good and fulfilling experience to do. I even feel a bit bad that I'm not helping a local rescue.

Luckily, the rescue are great in that if there was any issue with the dog at all, whether with murphy or Harry etc they would move them on immediately, they said they would even come at 3am if there was a prob. The rescue is only 10 mins down the road as well. I am going to give it a go and hopefully it's all lovely :)

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My sister does fostering, and now has a staffie cross, a rhodesian ridgeback cross, and a small Greek terrier permanently living with her. She had a bat-eared adorable mongrel as well for a couple of weeks, but luckily he has now found a new permanent home.

Good luck Frankie! Let us know what you decide and how you get on. How exciting!

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

It is a wonderful thing you are doing, and obviously you have given this much thought. We have a wee bit of experience as you know, being recent failed fosterers! :)

There are so many dogs that need rescuing, both in the UK and abroad, we can't rescue them all, but luckily there are lots of great ways to support our local shelters, you don't have to adopt a dog from them. We also have virtually adopted a dog, just by paying a small donation each month. We get updates regularly on how he (Brandy) is doing. :)

The actual decision to foster is a deeply personal thing, it does have such an impact on your life, and depending on the rescue organisation this impact can be greatly influenced by how supportive and engaged you feel with them. It sounds like you have found the right one which suits you and that you trust to be there when things don't quite go to plan, or you simply need a bit of reassurance...but I am sure that you will be prepared! :)

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Beanwood link=topic=8440.msg119505#msg119505 date=1414170727]
    We have a wee bit of experience as you know, being recent failed fosterers! :)

[/quote]

What a great way to be a failure xxx

14. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Oh yes I have no doubt that eventually you will fail at being a fostered haha! Whether with this dog or another, it is inevitable you end up keeping one!

I personally don't believe in importing dogs from other countries, however all rescue efforts should be applauded and I hope you get on well with fostering, it's definitely a very rewarding experience!

15. Fwhitt246

Ok so weve gone for it and in the next hour or so I will be meeting Ezra. When he was found in the shelter he had a huge cancerous tumour on his face, as you can see in pic below but as you can also see its been removed and he looks very sweet now! Hopefully everything goes ok :)

[​IMG]
    image by Fwhitt246, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    image by Fwhitt246, on Flickr

16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Poor dog in the first photo; I do hope the cancerous growth doesn't grow again? He looks super in the second photo but I do think he will grow a shaggy coat again :) Perhaps not as much as the first photo as he will be warmer living with you and not on the streets.

I think you are doing a wonderful thing, only wish I was young enough to do the same. It isn't that I am decrepit, but the dog would outlive me!

17. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Oh my, what a lot this dog has been through. I hope your meeting went well and we look forward to happy updates. All the best, Emma

18. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh Ezra, you lovely boy, welcome to the forum!
    Hope to see you soon!

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What a sweetie and so heartwarming that he's gone from sad and ill to being rescued, treated and now a new loving home :)

Sorry, *foster* home.

Ahem. ;)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

How lovely. :) The very best wishes to you.